• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anybody used an AX-7 on a P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Butmonkey

Registered
I have an AX-7 laying around from an old rig, and I was thinking about buying a socket adapter to use it on my P4. Would it work? It seems like it would be an efficient cooler, as it works well on Socket A platforms.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Butmonkey.

OP
B

Butmonkey

Registered
Well, I remember reading a review of the adapter, and clamping pressure wasn't a problem with that particular heatsink (can't recall at the moment). The only thing I'm worried about is if the copper core on the AX-7 is large enough to contact the whole P4 IHS.

Thanks again,

Butmonkey

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Even if it doesn't, remember that the core takes up only a tiny amount of space compared to the heatspreader. Other quality heatsinks for the P4 do not cover the whole core either... the SVC sunflower comes to mind. I think you'd do better though if you sold this and got something like the slk-800-U, which is designed for a P4 setup.