• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone got a SL6Z3 from ZZF within the past couple of days? Dec 15th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbodeuce

Registered
title says it all, I am about to order one from zzf, but if they aren't shipping out the m0s anymore I may look elsewhere.
Thanks!

ps sorry to double post, I know there is a similar post down the page, but everyone in that thread seemed to have received their cpu over a week ago.

jlo56

i called and asked about SL6Z3
but they said they cant guarantee you will get the steppng u want

Nightingale

I emailed ZZF my self but I just get this lame message stating that they cannot guarantee what stepping you will get due to the masses of processors they handle. I think there is one online shop that sells guaranteed MO chips but at a premium of $219. Also you may want to check out local computer shops and ask to see the steppings.

DevilMan24

Dear Customer,

Please note that we receive shipments of processors quite frequently and
will often have different steppings within our inventory for the same
processor. Due to this, we do apologize but we are unable to guarantee a
specific stepping if one were to be requested. However, we are able to
confirm the manufacturer SKU you are inquiring about is correct.

Regards,

ZipZoomFly Customer Service

puji

Good news ! Due to some screw up at Zzf they did not ship till late 12/11 (I orderd on 12/7). Guess what, it still is the Mo SL6Z3. I also got the AI7 and the Kingston KHX3500k2/512 all for under $400 second day air. So now I can upgrade my ol pIII 700 overclocked to 933 on a Asus CUSL2and 512 133 SDRAM.Paid about the same two years ago. Now I have to learn all this new stuff FSB, timing ratio etc., not like in the good old days,where it was still sooo easy to overclock. I gues it will be lots of fun.

Good luck to every body

puji

puji

Just unpacking and my first question. Should I remove that thermal pad from the heat zink und use some artic silver or is that stuff ok for testing the rig?

puji

wingman99

when i called zzf they garneted me SL6Z3 and i got it. Some times it fun to see how far you can clock first then remove pad and see the difference.

Last edited:

jlo56

wingman99 said:
when i called zzf they garneted me SL6Z3 and i got it.

thats a little unusual, that they expressively said they would guarantee you a particular core....

Mr Gadget

Registered
puji said:
Just unpacking and my first question. Should I remove that thermal pad from the heat zink und use some artic silver or is that stuff ok for testing the rig?

puji

I would remove it and replace it with artic silver before installing it for the first time. I seem to remember that the OEM thermal pad is heat activated and maybe more difficult to remove after it is heated.

wingman99

Yes, he looked at his inventory sheet said that is all they carrie at the time he checked said that i would get one he even checked on the SL6Z5 for me and they did not have any.

pads are easy i do it all the time twist back and forth don't pull then it brakes loose to clean just use QD CRC electronic cleaner on a paper towel it cleans fast. it works exhalant leaves no residue and cleans oil from fingers and cleans all paste and compounds and pads it is the brand for fine electronics wont stain or damage components i even clean the new cpu out the container they aren't that clean it cleans better dries fast.

one note if you remove your pad i voids the warranty i have a heat sink with a cooked pad incase i need to send

Last edited:

Mr Gadget

Registered
wingman99 said:

one note if you remove your pad i voids the warranty i have a heat sink with a cooked pad incase i need to send

Damn, I knew there was a reason for having all these old Intel H/S laying around! Good Idea! :D

hipster

I just ordered one so I'll let you know if it is. I probably won't see a delivery until Friday or Saturday though. I see Pacino stated he just received one from ZZF. I had read somewhere that the 2.4 was being discontinued on the 21st? Maybe Intel is filling their 2.4 orders from fast moving outlets with the EE rejects because that's all they have left? Who knows? I certainly don't! Bill

goldie

Registered
If you can avoid using the stock heatsink and fan is better as when the cpu heats up it melts the TIM (pad) into the heatsink pores, even when you clean it the microscopic pores have been filled with the TIM and are hard to completely remove. If your going to use the original heatsink scape the TIM off before use and use your choice of thermal pastes......good luck on the clock....goldie :)

puji

Thanks for the input for the thermal pad. But I could not wait last night to see how that rig comes together. It works now, but I hit a glitch with the new mother board and win98. it did not want to load even reinstalling 98. After 3hours I gave up. I have win xp pro on another rig but I do not like it. It is bulky and outright frustrating if you work a lot with files and applications. And it is in my opinion slower then 98. The biggest frustation I had in finding and moving all my links and mail . It took me all day beacuse it is storing it diiferent in hidden files.Those id++ts what do they want to hide? So I could not access the forum till now.
But Iwill get the pad off somehow. Those chips are quite sensitive to heat. I had the one clamp not down right and it would beep after 2 minutes and shut down. Good overheating protection. But I did sweat for a while till I followed my hunch that it wa too warm around the cpu. Now it is running over 3k but I am just statring with overclocking.

thanks again
puji

hipster

goldie said:
If you can avoid using the stock heatsink and fan is better as when the cpu heats up it melts the TIM (pad) into the heatsink pores, even when you clean it the microscopic pores have been filled with the TIM and are hard to completely remove. If your going to use the original heatsink scape the TIM off before use and use your choice of thermal pastes......good luck on the clock....goldie :)

Thanks for that bit of info goldie. Two questions, what if you have to try to RMA it for any reason? Is it able to be put back to "stock" condition? What tim do you recommend, AS5 or ?Thanks Bill