• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone of u crushed the core of the 1600+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toddalaska

Registered
ive crushed a 1600+ ( wb installing)

whats even worse is that it ran stable at 1990 mhz before that

OP
R

rizge

i was asking that just to know if i can buy a 1600+ without being afraid of crushing the core underneath my heatsink

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
rizge said:
i was asking that just to know if i can buy a 1600+ without being afraid of crushing the core underneath my heatsink

Honestly, it really takes a great deal of numbskullery to crack a core. You have to REALLY not know what you're doing, or not be careful enough in order to crack one.

Just take it slow, and don't push down on any one side more than the other when you're installing it. A clip probably won't break a core, but a clip's pressure in addition to extra pressure from the user could.

Since you don't want to smear your thermal compound anyway, I always line up my HSF over the CPU first, then set it down, and hold the HSF in place while I manipulate each side of the retention clip into place. My record is 0 out of 11 CPU's chipped. Havn't chipped a core yet.

john240sx

i installed a Dragon Orb 3 (aka, Core Crusher) on a 750Mhz Duron and didn't chip it. i chipped it when i was cleaning the thermal paste off it.

like Über~PhLuBB said, it's not that easy to crush the core if you take your time.

Milkman

I have had atleast 12 amd's and never crushed a core, and I remove and install heatsinks/waterblocks alot, like Über~PhLuBB
says it takes alot of effort to crush one.

mamer

OP
R

rizge

ok
thx people
mamer
as a elite amd-expert want to ask u
what is better whilst moderate oc?
1.8A or 1600+?

The Coolest

I've crushed a Duron 800 when I over tightened a waterblock, I didn't really notice that it was very tight already and just went for "a few more turns". then it made a loud crunching sound, and wouldn't boot. but as said, first lay the HSF on the chip and only after that apply the clips. I removed an AX-7 which is a pain to put on, and even more pain to take off w/o any problems, and the chip works. the cores ARE more tough than they look to be

toddalaska

Registered
The Coolest said:
I've crushed a Duron 800 when I over tightened a waterblock, I didn't really notice that it was very tight already and just went for "a few more turns". then it made a loud crunching sound, and wouldn't boot. but as said, first lay the HSF on the chip and only after that apply the clips. I removed an AX-7 which is a pain to put on, and even more pain to take off w/o any problems, and the chip works. the cores ARE more tough than they look to be

mine was a friend saying "1 more turn" then "Crunch"

that was when i first got water it sucked

The Coolest

toddalaska said:

mine was a friend saying "1 more turn" then "Crunch"

that was when i first got water it sucked

LOL man, sorry to hear that tho.
After I got a different chip, and ran the system for about a week the waterblock leaked creating all the dead stuff in my sig (except the CPU, which I did when mounted that block)

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
It seems a lot of people have done in their chips installing waterblocks....

*looks over at dual XP1600+ system currently bleeding/watertesting*

Thanks for making me nervous....:rolleyes:

j/k ;)

I've yet to crack/chip a core either, and I've had heatsinks/waterblocks on/off too many times to count.

The only chip I've ever "killed" would be my old Celeron 600. And oddly, I'm not sure how I did it. I got a P/// 700E to replace it, and it ran when I pulled it. I went digging it out of the closet with thoughts of selling it later, and when I went to test it, it was toast. No boot on several different boards....:(

The core on that was not chipped, either.... :rolleyes: I packed it away in the retail P/// packaging, and have yet to (to my knowledge) kill anything by static discharge (though that might be the case with the Cellie).

So far, the only cooling apparatus that makes me nervous installing or removing is the Thermalright SLK600 I have. I like the fact it engages all six socket lugs, but that clip is mighty stiff, and can be hard to get secured at times....:rolleyes:

When I first fired up my H20 rig, I didn't have the block seated fully....temps shot up to +70c :eek: I figured out what the problem was pretty quick though, and it ran great after that initial scare. Now I know how much tension to put on those four hold downs....I feel pretty confidant that when I fire up the duallie after leak testing, I'll have no problems.

B.

RnPgrosz

Mr B said:

When I first fired up my H20 rig, I didn't have the block seated fully....temps shot up to +70c :eek: I figured out what the problem was pretty quick though, and it ran great after that initial scare. Now I know how much tension to put on those four hold downs....I feel pretty confidant that when I fire up the duallie after leak testing, I'll have no problems.

B.

I had the same thing happen when I first installed my Maze 3 backwards. Temps were at about 60C and I realized something was wrong. Luckily I had dropped it down from 1.95v 1.91 GHz to stock to install the H20 or that chip probably would have been a goner.

I've never chipped a core but one time(back in the day) I booted up without a HSF on my Duron 750. It still works fine to this day, just a large burn mark on the bottom of the cpu. Those Durons are tough.:)

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
Valk said:
I watched my palomino mp 1.2 catch fire.

You want to explain that a little more? Or why you had an oil-soaked rag near your CPU?

There's nothing that CAN catch flame anywhere near the die. Just metal and ceramics, neither of which is flammable. Your chip would get hot enough to melt it's own die traces, then the motherboard would shut down. There's no way it could get hot enough to melt anything.

So I call your bluff!

SHINNANNIGANS! SHINNANNIGANS!