• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried to fit a 120mm fan on a....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut

Registered
Do you know if a 120mm fan will fit on a SLK-800. I havent received my heatsink from the mail yet, so i have no idea how big it really is. And while Thermalright says that fits 60,70,80 mm fans. I thought i read somwhere that some people were able to get 120 mm fans on there.

If anyone has please share your experiences. Thanks

Maximouse

nut said:
Do you know if a 120mm fan will fit on a SLK-800. I havent received my heatsink from the mail yet, so i have no idea how big it really is. And while Thermalright says that fits 60,70,80 mm fans. I thought i read somwhere that some people were able to get 120 mm fans on there.

If anyone has please share your experiences. Thanks

I guess its possible if you can get an adaptor, most places sell them.

Gnufsh

I'm relatively sure that the adapters most places sell will not work on the SLK-800. An 80mm fan is actually a little bigger then the SLk-800 (in one dimension, at least), so fitting a 120mm fan would be hard. If you figure it out, I'd like to know.

Maximouse

Gnufsh said:
I'm relatively sure that the adapters most places sell will not work on the SLK-800. An 80mm fan is actually a little bigger then the SLk-800 (in one dimension, at least), so fitting a 120mm fan would be hard. If you figure it out, I'd like to know.

Could always mount the 120mm on the case and run a duct to the heatsink, or....theres always the Dremel and a creative imagination:)

OP
N

nut

Registered
I'm sorry i said 120mm fan, I actually meant 92mm fan. But i guess from what i am reading 80mm is the way to go.

TerroH8er

I wonder how an SLK-800 would perform if someone fitted one of those 120mm delta 190cfm fans on it..

OP
N

nut

Registered
That would surely be the ultimate in cooling.

190 cfm's on a SLk-800 = very nice frigid temps :)

f00t

just build yourself a shroud for the heatsink. I did for my Dragon orb 3 and attatched a 80mm fan to it. It is now wisper quiet and the cpu is still at the temps as it was before.

-f00t-

jlin453

Has anyone tested if a high output fan on the case w/a duct pointing at the heatsink performs better than the conventinal fan/heatsink combo?

wildfrogman

I have found that with the duct~funnel with the fan a few inches away from the heatsink you get a few C better temps than even with the case panel open. I think it has to do with the fan blades not being so near to the heatsink sort of like shrouds for a heatercore with watercooling. It allows the fan to work better but takes a little bit more time than just sticking the fan on the heatsink. Oh and with the duct~funnel just make sure to have 1/4~1/2 inch of space between the heatsink and duct~funnel for best performance As it allows more airflow than just stuck right on the heatsink.

drunkmonkey

A nice fan adapterfrom plycon would do the trick.
I got one and 120cfm's on my AX7 seem to help the temps alot:D Actually, I could feel air moving BACK THROUGH the space between the fan blades and the casing, lol. 120mm fans are really the quiet solution. I get awsome cooling still with it 7V modded.