• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has nVidia given up on chipsets entirely?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I went shopping out of curiosity recently, and have noticed that the socket 775 SLI motherboards (nVidia chipset) are becoming rather rare. Does anybody know if this is temporary or has nVidia put the whole chipset business out to pasture?

Not a whole lot of point in making new 775 chipsets, and a very much dwindling point in making 775 motherboards, really.

I knew nVidia wasn't able to make chipsets for any of the new Intel CPUs, but it appears that all the chipsets that they were making are at EOL at this point. That's what I was wondering about, whether the nForce 700-series chipsets were EOL or just in short supply temporarily because they weren't making many.

It'd a bit of a shame because I have access to another GTX260 which I could make good use of if I could get myself a decently priced 775 SLi motherboard.

Well they weren't very good chipsets to begin with, they almost always hit a wall before any P35/P45 did. Good riddance I say.

Well they weren't very good chipsets to begin with, they almost always hit a wall before any P35/P45 did. Good riddance I say.
Yeah, no kidding. Their chipsets were even crappier than their drivers. Even as I love my Nforce4 opteron duallie, Nvidia was nothing but a headache.

Before that I had an Nforce3 chipset opteron box which I had to use a hacked bios I got from 2cpu.com just to get Vista to install (no official updates from the big N), and it still has the problem of not recognizing AGP-PCI-E bridge chips on many video cards. With the Nforce4, if you can get NVraid working on Win7 without issues, you're a champ.

Last edited:
Some chipsets suffered voltage leaks which caused it to overheat really bad.

nVidia pretty much pulled out of the chipset business for desktops almost entirely. They still plan on making chipsets for mobile platforms and possible i3/i5 boards.

Some chipsets suffered voltage leaks which caused it to overheat really bad.
The most quirky issue I've ever encountered with an nvidia chipset was with my Nforce4. On a dual system, the nforce4 would blackscreen if you set the base clock any higher than 215mhz. You'd have to continue overclocking from windows via clockgen, and then you had to raise it 5 mhz at a time or the computer would hard lock. Volt tricking with the U-wire would somehow make the lan ports stop working.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I saw the inquirer reporting the die-off of Nvidia's chipset division.

I don't know about all that... but I do love that some 1366 boards offer the option of either Crossfire or SLI.... it's about time. Solves alot of issues for a large number of us.

SLI on nVidia chipset boards isn't nearly as efficient as it is on Intel 1156/1366. And they don't OC nearly as well...especially with quads. And they run really hot and tend to be buggy.

I'd recommend sticking with 1 strong gfx card if at all possible. Sell what you have and upgrade.

IMO SLI is only an option if you have an 1156/1366 mobo and a strong gfx card (GTX260+) and then want even more power b/c you can't push your games to 1920x1200 or higher at max settings. For me a single GTX280 in a OC'd system is plenty for almost all games at 1920x1200 & 60fps.

in my place it is abit rare since the heat is big trouble, but they also cheap compare to other chipset that are in equal class. so many still look for it. if U want to use it as is and not do OC much it would be fine and am sure it. but if U gonna OC it, prepare to give extra cooler to the board.

Back