• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell build, I told Knufire I'd post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd honestly be looking more at a b85 board for this build. Same CPU without the k if you're not overclocking. Save money on things you don't need or want use. Don't need to buy a fancy big overclocking board if you're not overclocking...

Frankly I think you over estimate your usage. All that stuff you just said you'd be doing. I'm quite sure I could do with zero lag with my 8gb ram. 16 is more than enough...

Grab a 780 with the money saved on other parts...

People saying a 780 is overkill is silly, when it won't be in the future, my 670 used to be "overkill" too, but now it can barely handle Crysis 3 at 1080p with 30FPS.

I think your build is good as it is.

The Crysis series has always been the exception more than the rule. The 670 was also pretty good in terms of price/performance, unlike the 780 and Titan. The 780 costs nearly 50% more than the 770 for not close to 50% performance benefit.

And again...he's playing and streaming MMOs, which aren't exactly demanding games.

Also, to the OP, even if DDR4 comes out, you'd need a new motherboard to use it.

Also, that link you have for W7 Pro looks extremely shady, and I'm not sure if selling OEM recovery disks is exactly legal.

EDIT: This is $1125 and already has a Bluray/PSU good enough for OCing + CFX/video card that's probably good enough for triple screen for things like WoW.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($296.78 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($167.86 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($37.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1122.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 14:35 EDT-0400)

Last edited:
Maybe this would be a better idea as its cheaper than the Mobo you are looking at and it would save you over $100 dollars to spend else where! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.microcenter.com/product/414939/Z87_Extreme6_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157369

If you want the EX 4 its $10 dollars less than this! Both would do a good job.:shrug:

Is it the same motherboard though? Am I just paying for the ASUS name with the other one? What am I loosing with one of those two boards instead of what I posted above your post.

Brinley if you are thinking about using a Microcentre try asking about Combo deals, could save you some Cash!! After looking yesterday there is discounts on items when purchased with Haswell parts. Good luck with the build. AJ. ;) :thup:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15XSx

That link is to the build I've created so far.

The only three things I have yet to purchase are the mobo, graphics card and two additional monitors.

I'd buy 2 more G235H monitors right now, if I could find them. Seems every store is out of stock or they still have the original retail price for a 2 year old monitor.

The graphics card I'll buy in a month when the price goes a little lower and my coffers aren't quite so dry.

Now the motherboard I can buy now, but I'm just unsure as it's what I need. Here's what appealed to me about the
Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

1. The 4-way optimization namely, CPU Performance boost, great EPU (Energy Proficiency) rating, automatic adjusting fans and DIGI+ power.

2. The fact it has 2 independent ethernet jacks. I need one for my company's VOIP phone so I can accept inbound calls and make calls and another for the hard-line going into my rig. The problem is, on previous mobos I've found interference occurs unless I bring in my internet feed on wifi, which I don't like to do (I like to have the option to do it, but I'd rather not when I'm at home). The deluxe specifically mentioned having no noise on the line or issues with dropped bandwidth. I can't have my calls dropping as they have in the past.

3. Need the capability to double up graphics cards later.

4. Less noise because of the Fan Xpert2 auto adjusting feature.

5. Wi-Fi GO! to control the computer for when I start running an HDMI cord from my office to the bedroom for my flatscreen to play 1440p HD.

6. easy BIOS config.

7. Ability to support three monitors (in this case using the DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort and HDMI) until I have my graphics card, I'll need to run the three monitors on something until then.

If there's a less costly 1150 mobo that does all those things, then I will complete my build with it, any suggestions?

1. Marketing BS
2. $10 PCI or PCIe networking adapter.
3. Any ATX Z87 board can do that
4. All ASUS boards have it
5. Remote desktop isn't anything special. Hell, even Chrome has it built in as an extension
6. Same as any ASUS board
7. This is a function of the integrated GPU inside the CPU, not the motherboard.

Also, the H60 is most definitely not worth it's cost and probably isn't powerful enough to tame an OCed Haswell.

Also, the H60 is most definitely not worth it's cost and probably isn't powerful enough to tame an OCed Haswell.

I got the H60 for 39.99, didn't think that was a bad price. Is there a better CPU Cooler I should get for the same price?

Okay, so taking those things you said into consideration, what board should I get for that build?

Check the performance on here.

These guys have some of the best heatsink reviews I've seen, as it is very standard and all databased together for later reference.

One that sticks out in my mind is the Xigmatek Gaia for $20.

Eh, for $40 it isn't bad. It usually retails around $60 where the NZXT Havik or TRUE Spirit 140 would be better options. Still, Haswell runs HOT, I would have spent the extra for a top-end air cooler or something like an H80i.

The ASUS Z87-A/Plus/Pro, the MSI Gaming series boards, ASRock Extreme4/6, Gigabyte D3H/UD3H.

Also if you're doing triple screens, you definitely want more than 2GB of vRAM.

Well returning the CPU Cooler to newegg won't be hard. Okay, so with that rig, for between 40-60$ what can you suggest?

I'll check out the motherboards suggested.

If you got it for $40, that's the best you'll get for $40. Unless you buy used, the coolers I would recommend for Haswell are all around $80.

Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltake Silver Arrow, Phanteks TC14PE, Corsiar H80i/H90/H100i/H110, NZXT Kraken X40/X60, Swiftech H220.

Okay, so I have all the parts I need except the CPU Cooler.
Ordered everything else and it's almost all arrived.

Traded up to a Overclockable i7 4th gen as well as ASROCK Z87 Extrem6 mobo.

Now I'm just trying to figure out which CPU Cooler I should go with before I throw it all together.

There's this one
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

and this one
Phanteks PH-TC14PE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Oh, and here's an updated link to my build so far. I chose the Noctua for the sake of completeness in this build, but I still haven't ordered it and am a little up in the air. I don't really want to spend more than $80 on a CPU Cooler and if I have to spend around that, I want it to be REALLY worth it. Meaning I can overclock my system with little to no issue and there's very little noise.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/199kU

Some further suggestion?

By the way, I will be posting pictures when I have everything fully put together.

Either cooler will do great for you, it just depends which one will clear your RAM and fit correctly in your case.

My NH-D14 is awesome, and near silent even at 100% fan.

Alright, I don't mean to "resurrect" this post, but I wanted to let you guys know that I made the system!

I'm looking at it right now. It looks powerful! Looks great!... It's basically a paper-weight right now because I can't get it to boot past UEFI (BIOS) but it looks amazing!

Actually, I found a sweet deal on one of those Thermaltake Level 10 cases. Got it coming to me for about $150, brand new.

Otherwise all the specs are as I listed with the NH-D14.

I woudl link some images, but I don't want to go through the trouble of hosting, besides it'll all look different when I get the new case anyhow.

The error I'm running into seems peculiar in that I can't find an exact REASON I'm getting it anywhere.

As soon as the ASROCK name goes across the screen I see:

Error sending End of Post message to ME, system HALT!

Then it shuts down and loops back.

This is after loading up my OS disc (Windows 7 64 Pro).
I've tried it a few times now, one time I actually got the desktop for a split second, but then was logged off, system shut down and got that same message.

I've tried loading Windows 7 on my TB drive, my SSD and a western digital black 256GB drive I realized I had.

Asrock has been less than helpful in handling the issue. I've been told to flash my BIOS twice after I already told them I flashed it to the newest version.

So for right now, it's a glorified paper-weight. Lack luster experience so far.

I was 100% sure I built it right since I read the mobo directions and saw they were followed to the letter and had a friend of mine who does this stuff for a living do it for me but I'm starting to doubt that it was.

Any suggestions from the gods of creation?

Well I tried AHCI and IDE (I think it's called IDE--the one which has more compatibility).

I tried both. I also tried with the SSD and 1 TB HD and another smaller HD. All of them, same error after loading windows pro.

Just for sake of isolating variables, take our the GPU, and all but one stick of RAM, and only have one drive plugged in. Use a USB drive to install windows.

Really sounds like a messed up board though.

Back