• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell prices-WTF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I was checking newegg, finally looking for parts for a new build, and the 5820k is $415. Shouldn't prices be going the other way after new chips are released? I don't want to wait for Zen, because with my luck it will be expensive and there won't be any "cheap" Intel chips. Sometimes I just want to get a smartphone and move my gaming to Candy Crush. :( Anybody know of any reasonably priced places for a 5820k? ATM Best Buy has the best price I can find and it's $10 over what they cost a month ago.

Usually it's like older products are disappearing from the market before price significantly drops. Since Broadwell-E cost more ( on my local market it's about $150 difference between 5820K and 6800K, on newegg I see it's about $50 ) and isn't much faster then there is no point to lower price of Haswell-E.

Here it costs exactly 500$, I think it did fell in price here, Like 50$ or something like that.

In Poland is about 10-15$ cheaper now but local currency value is constantly dropping so I have a feeling like everything cost more. Since we have new government ( end of last year ), value of polish zł has dropped by about 17% comparing to usd. All that in a bit more than half year. I can sell my used 5820K at about the same price as I bought it over a year ago but 6800K cost $200 more so I see no point to change it especially that Broadwell-E is generally overclocking worse ( at least looking at reviews ).

Generally disheartening all the way around. I really didn't want to go back to 4 cores, but it's looking like a 6700k is my best choice. It will smoke my current chip plus I get DDR4. It figures, I'm ready to build and all the new graphics cards are out of stock and my CPU upgrade options went down the sh*&#@. I'm tempted to just wait till the 1070s are available and spend the rest on new audio gear. :)

RX480 seems interesting and not so expensive but I would wait for non-reference cards.

Haswell is still pretty new and, judging by benchmarks, is just as good as Skylake for gaming, and DDR3 is doing well, again, especially in gaming (and will, for a long while). Plus, Skylake requires platform change, and Skylake mobos are pretty expensive, especially the high-end kind that people with high-end Haswells would prefer. This all is enough to give Haswell prices some breathing space. Finally, supply and demand will always to its work.

Going by your sig, I would considering maxing out on the CPU for that AMD board, but only on a good bargain (I've seen some nice deals) and installing the system and your favourite games on even a small used SSD. Your PSU would obviously suffice for CF with another 260x, but buy prices don't look good right now. On the other hand, this could be the last time to get a good sell price — your call.

Haswell is still pretty new and, judging by benchmarks, is just as good as Skylake for gaming, and DDR3 is doing well, again, especially in gaming (and will, for a long while). Plus, Skylake requires platform change, and Skylake mobos are pretty expensive, especially the high-end kind that people with high-end Haswells would prefer. This all is enough to give Haswell prices some breathing space. Finally, supply and demand will always to its work.

Going by your sig, I would considering maxing out on the CPU for that AMD board, but only on a good bargain (I've seen some nice deals) and installing the system and your favourite games on even a small used SSD. Your PSU would obviously suffice for CF with another 260x, but buy prices don't look good right now. On the other hand, this could be the last time to get a good sell price — your call.

Ivybridge is also in par with Haswell and Skylake in gaming... As well as SandyBridge but thats starting to fall already, But is still good for todays AAA titles.

I considered a new FX (8370e), figuring the lower power requirements might put it where my mobo can handle a decent OC, but my 6350 is running at 4400 MHz now and doesn't use all 6 cores anyway. I'm looking at just biting the bullet and getting a 6700 Skylake and SSD. A GTX 1070 on that should put me in good shape for an all around PC that games at a decent level. The RX 480 is tempting, but I've had nothing but problem's out of AMD's drivers for so long I don't know if I can buy another Red card. LOL

I'm looking at just biting the bullet and getting a 6700 Skylake and SSD. A GTX 1070 on that should put me in good shape for an all around PC that games at a decent level.

Depending if you're gaming at 1080p/1440p its complete overkill for the next 2 years or so (1070=980Ti). Maybe a 6600k ?

Ivybridge is also in par with Haswell and Skylake in gaming... As well as SandyBridge but thats starting to fall already, But is still good for todays AAA titles.

Yes. And my Core2Duo with DDR2 4-channel and a modern mid-range GPU also could probably go above low while preserving 30 fps. After replacing the e8600 with a Xeon 771—>775, I would probably be getting playable medium/50 on reasonably new titles (largely due to 4 physical cores, which is something i3's don't have and Pentium G's don't even pretend).

For me it made little sense buying old tech, but it really makes little sense to change platforms for any gamer with anything 2nd gen and up, except for those CPU+mobo deals that cost basically the price of the CPU alone, but they don't normally involve top boards. The upgrade path in those cases IMHO leads to the strongest CPU the mobo can (be made to) support (including Xeons), followed by GPU. And sometimes GPU first. Some fancy RAM maybe, just maybe. Or faster SSD. But hardly platform upgrade.

I considered a new FX (8370e), figuring the lower power requirements might put it where my mobo can handle a decent OC, but my 6350 is running at 4400 MHz now and doesn't use all 6 cores anyway. I'm looking at just biting the bullet and getting a 6700 Skylake and SSD. A GTX 1070 on that should put me in good shape for an all around PC that games at a decent level. The RX 480 is tempting, but I've had nothing but problem's out of AMD's drivers for so long I don't know if I can buy another Red card. LOL

You may be experiencing some perceived slowness in the system due to the lack of an SSD, so I would consider starting from there (+ full system reinstall if it's been a while). If you were absolutely sure you wanted a Skylake board, then it could make sense to get an NVM M.2. on 4 PCIE lanes because good deals can be found on used ones with reach people replacing 256 GB drives on day one. But otherwise (and you'll probably need a storage drive anyway), I would get the best deal on a (used) Samsung 850 Evo, which is the fastest SATA SSD bar Samsung's own 850 pro, which costs double and is not 100% faster, or whatever 480+ drive with similar rated transfer times and new production date happens to cost much less, if at all. (Preference for Evo by default anyway).

I've just checked with User Benchmark, for what that's worth, and the 8370e seems to have a 0% difference from the 6350, just overclocking a tiny bit better, so I wouldn't try that. In fact, it seems the 9590 might not be terribly faster. So yeah, it makes little sense topping out the slot unless you could somehow make a good deal selling your current CPU and buying whatever's fastest that fits in. I should've checked this earlier, but I'm not really familiar with AMD, so I didn't realize how close your CPU already was to the best the slot could hold.

For a platform change Skylake would be the default choice for most people (though some deals on older top-of-line CPUs and mobos provide more performance for the money), but it could be worth considering other options if you want to keep the memory, and you have some good memory there. Still, the mem shouldn't be hard to sell, and the last time I checked a single stick of HyperX Savage DDR4 16 GB could be had for $60, so selling DDR3 and buying DDR4 could be a good deal actually.

All in all, if I were you, I'd probably attempt to swap the mobo and CPU only, as long as I didn't have OEM Windows, and I would probably be looking on Ivies and Sandies. Otherwise, probably Skylake. However, once you've got a box version of Windows that you don't have to bury with your old mobo, the problem is over, and you're 'eligible' for quick platform upgrades from that point onward (meaning only CPU+mobo, not even RAM).

(Using 1.5V DDR3 with a Skylake mobo is a poor idea, even if it will let you. People say it's led to damage.)

If you're on OEM Windows, it might be the best idea to sell the computer and build a new one, especially if you could do something to increase the (perceived) value at a low cost to you (e.g. take the trouble of buying a cheap used SSD and reinstalling the system on it for the next owner), but obviously not if it's going to bring you like $200 for the whole rig.

Last edited:
My current rig will be going to my daughter as is, with the exception of doing a fresh install of W7 with (almost) all the updates already done. I'll probably put the OS on an OCZ Trion 100 or 150 though. The board is about maxed out for a Piledriver chip@125 watts. Maybe a 95w FX 8300 would have some headroom, but it would need a lot to show any real advantage over 6 cores at 4400 MHz. So that leaves me with a build from scratch. The mobo cost on the 2011v3 chips is high for a last gen chip, and the 6 core Skylakes are just too much money (maybe). So I'm here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ with the build. I'm not married to the cooling solution, and I'd like a GTX 1070, but for 1080p it would be a waste of money. I wanted to get away from AMD's driver nightmare but the RX 480 is looking like the sweet spot. I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc.. I'm probably pulling the trigger in the next few days so I'm working on firming up the final parts list. The RAM on the list is from the QVL list for the mobo so that should work nicely. The SSD isn't, but the Samsung 256 GB SSD is so I figure I'm OK with the 500 GB.

You should go with the i7 6700k instead of the 5820k it has a better IPC for gaming for the future and the extra HT do better with games like Ashes of the singularity.

That's the one I went with. :) For the reasons you mention and I can't see paying that much more for a last gen chip. I started a build thread in General Hardware. I'm seriously tempted by the 6800k, but the added cost on top of the expense of a good 2011v3 mobo is pretty steep.

Back