• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a question about the RTX 2080 and 1440P 144hz Gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay so I have a ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q monitor that I bought back in 2017 and I don't have the money to upgrade my monitor to a 4k 144hz monitor yet. But I want to buy this video card to use with my monitor as an upgrade over my GTX 1060:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce...8g-evo/p/N82E16814126335?Item=N82E16814126335

It says in the video cards description page that it only supports DP 1.4 cables and I only have a 1.2 CABLE plus I'm 99% sure the PG278Q does not support display port 1.4. So if I want to run my video games in 1440P 144hz with that video card what options do I have? Or can I not buy that video card at all without spending $1,000+ on a monitor as well? I was looking at the Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ and Newegg has them for $1,300 + tax. But it would take me a long time to pay back $2,400 or so with winter expenses and whatnot. So I'm just wondering what options I have.

*edit* actually it seems like I have no choice but to buy the monitor with the video card because my monitor doesn't support either of the ports that the card has.

So for about $2,200 I can use the video card for now until I can afford to upgrade the rest of it. That would save me over $1,000 but would my current rig be able to support 4k gaming at 144 hz or even 60 hz? I mean... it'd be slow as hell right? So I'd have to completely upgrade my system and spend almost $3,200 all at once right?

My specs that matter are:

intel core i5 - 4440k
ASUS Maximus VIII Formula
16 GB G.SKILL Trident-X 2400mhz
Samsung 850 EVO -250 GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Corsair HX-750
ASUS GTX 1060

Last edited:
Cables are backwards compatible AFAIK.

There isnt a GPU out there that will push 4k 144 fps/hz. 2080ti will be the best you can get for now.

Are they? Like I said I've been out of the scene for a REALLY long time. I didn't even know that Display port 1.4 existed. So I could just buy the video card for now and upgrade in bits and chunks then? How are the cables backwards compatible? Hope you don't mind the noob questions.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I read that the RTX 2080 can support 1440P gaming at 144HZ. But, yet whenever I search for DP 1.4 cables they all seem to only support 4k gaming and my monitor is like 3-4 years old so it's still stuck in 1.2.

It's a G-sync display you already have. It'll be fine with the new card with whatever it supports. DP1.2 supports 17.3 Gbps of data, and 1440p144 "only" requires about 12.7 Gbps. Extra bandwidth from DP1.4 isn't going to make a difference.

While there are newer features with newer versions, the main upgrade usually is more bandwidth supporting higher resolutions/refresh rates.

It's a G-sync display you already have. It'll be fine with the new card with whatever it supports. DP1.2 supports 17.3 Gbps of data, and 1440p144 "only" requires about 12.7 Gbps. Extra bandwidth from DP1.4 isn't going to make a difference.

While there are newer features with newer versions, the main upgrade usually is more bandwidth supporting higher resolutions/refresh rates.

This may come off as an extremely stupid question but would a 1.2 DP cable fit into a 1.4 DP cable slot? Or if I buy a 1.4 DP cable will it fit into my PG278Q? Or whatever HDMI cable I'm using? (I forget sorry I've been out of the tech scene for a REALLY long time lol).

I don't know if they changed the cable spec at the same time, but if your monitor supports 1.2 and the cable is 1.2, there wont be any advantage in looking for a 1.4 cable. I believe G-sync does require DP to work, not HDMI, but not 100% on that.

Okay! Thank you so much for your help! I'm glad I don't have to spend $1,400 on a monitor right now! I'll go ahead and buy the card now and see how it works.

Back