• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have AMD and Nvidia drivers pretty much eliminated Xfire/SLI u-stutter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
not that I can say, with my 970's in sli I find that it's just not as smooth as a single 970 or a single 980.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Depends on the title, drivers, setup, etc. It is much improved from both camps, but, in many cases, is still there. Some notice it, some do not.

Tír na nÓg

Last time I used SLi was about a year ago, with a couple of 980's on a 4K monitor, and well, it was running great. Did not notice any stuttering. Was playing SoM, Dying Light and DA Inquisition at this time.

OP
M

magellan

Last time I used SLi was about a year ago, with a couple of 980's on a 4K monitor, and well, it was running great. Did not notice any stuttering. Was playing SoM, Dying Light and DA Inquisition at this time.

Your 5820 @ 4.85 Ghz that must beat the average 24-7 o'clock for a 5820 by a considerable amount. I wonder if that could have anything to do with your lack of issues in SLI?

OP
M

magellan

CPU speed doesn't have anything to do with frametime and microstuttering on the GPU.

So there's no way at all to minimize SLI/Crossfire u-stutter? What about tri-Fire or three-way SLI? Does that
help to minimize u-stutter?

Steven90

So there's no way at all to minimize SLI/Crossfire u-stutter? What about tri-Fire or three-way SLI? Does that
help to minimize u-stutter?

If anything I believe more cards would increase the rate or chance of microstutter since they master card has more slave cards in tandem that its communicating with. But that's just what I've been told and from my own research

Tír na nÓg

Your 5820 @ 4.85 Ghz that must beat the average 24-7 o'clock for a 5820 by a considerable amount. I wonder if that could have anything to do with your lack of issues in SLI?

I got the 5820 couple of months ago. The 980's were running with [email protected] But you're right: with the same +/- the same IPC that may be the reason.