• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have done my research and am almost ready, need some final advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have an Enermax 120mm adjustable fan from a couple years ago, and it's still in use, BUT!
My Evercools move more air, and are quieter. I either use a rheobus or 7v my fans, so the adjustability of the fan isn't an issue with me.

Huh! Seems that the specs displayed on the internet are wrong. Or is this just at 7v- I don't have a rheobus (I do have some "fan only" connections that have been unused on my psu though)

I'm going for performance, and I suspected that a single one of those pumps may not be adequate- basically I am looking to get better temps than my current air cooling. I can get up to 55+ C on full load. I'm hoping to decrease that to low 40's or better load. If a single one of those D-Tek pumps could do that with the other components I've selected, I'd be happy. If not, I'll just have to save my money.

My thoughts on Res vs T line:

My huge, colorful double bay res is an eye catcher. I prefer it for the conversations it starts. That's not a scientific reason at all of course. My water cooling is a hobby anyway, so conversation worthiness was important for this decision.

Hope this helps you decide.

Also: Danner Mag 3: Excellent pump and serves me well. No leak mod necessary for mine. You're results may vary. I do not recommend removing the O-ring though. Instead, if you must, simply enhance it with a bit of silicon (RTV).

List & prices as of now (I *think* I have found the best prices for most of this, I still need to check around.) I think sidewindercomputers is sold out of this waterblock actually, but I can always order it direct from swiftech for the same price.

- Swiftech MCW6002-P http://sidewindercomputers.com/swmcforinpe41.html $42.50
- D-Tek Pro-120 Radiator: http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=91 $29.99
- D-Tek Shroud: http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=117 $9.99
- Bay-style Res http://www.svc.com/reservoirs.html $19.95
- Enermax 120mm fan: http://www.svc.com/en12vasphipe1.html $14.99
- Water Additive- Just going to use some green antifreeze that I already own I think (free$$) unless I find a different additive which appeals to me enough to purchase it

Still need to price tubing and hose clamps (I will probably order some clearflex60 as I mentioned before, I may try to find the clamps at home depot, or order a few online. Probably the former.)

I have the pump choices narrowed down to a Danner Mag 3 @ $39.99 from Marinedepot.com, or a D-Tek C system pump for $35.95. I still need to find out of the danner comes with barbs (it doesn't look like it does,) and whether or not for sure the D-Tek pump would give me adequate flow/pressure to be worth the convenience of 12v before I buy.

I'll also be getting a NB cooler and some chipsinks at the same time which will bump up my final total a bit, but that doesn't pertain to this particular forum :)

Danner mag 3 - prone to leaking.

MCP600 or DD 12v D4 are a good choice. The D4 has recently been made to be quieter, theres a thread not too far from this one.

If you take on thing from this thread, take this = its worth spending money on a decent pump.

From skimming, I don't think this has been mentioned but the MCW6002 is the MOST restrictive commercial block to date. You are going to need a high head pump to get the most performance out of the block since you said you are going for performance. Mag 3 if you feel up to modding it, Laing D4, or MCP600 would be my choices (or maybe 2 of those CSP pumps).

MCP600 or DD 12v D4 are a good choice. The D4 has recently been made to be quieter, theres a thread not too far from this one.

Hmm that's really interesting- I had read the beginning of that thread a while ago, now I went back and read the more current results. If the D4 is running quietly now, that really is a good pump.

From skimming, I don't think this has been mentioned but the MCW6002 is the MOST restrictive commercial block to date. You are going to need a high head pump to get the most performance out of the block since you said you are going for performance. Mag 3 if you feel up to modding it, Laing D4, or MCP600 would be my choices (or maybe 2 of those CSP pumps).

You're probably right, the MCW6002 is supposed to be very restrictive. As far as the Mag 3 mod, it doesn't look *too* hard (pretty much just adding some silicone to the o-ring, unless I am mistaken.) If my finances allow me to get my stuff soon, I will probably get this pump. If not, I will probably save a little bit and get a D4 (so long as they are indeed quiet) or a MCP600.

Chaos_Being said:
... As far as the Mag 3 mod, it doesn't look *too* hard (pretty much just adding some silicone to the o-ring, unless I am mistaken.)

You are correct. I would add, however, that you be careful in your selection of hose barbs that you buy for this. Go with plastic ones if possible. I have brass ones but I had to be very careful not to overtighten. If you overtighten you can crack the housing. Plastic barbs for this can often be found in hardware stores in the sprinkler system department.

klath said:
It is also a little less restrictive than the mcw6000. Also, it is designed to be restrictive, as you see very little performance gain at higher flow rates;it is good even at sub 1 gpm flows.

You are correct. I would add, however, that you be careful in your selection of hose barbs that you buy for this. Go with plastic ones if possible. I have brass ones but I had to be very careful not to overtighten. If you overtighten you can crack the housing. Plastic barbs for this can often be found in hardware stores in the sprinkler system department.

Yeah, I had read that the housing was pretty easy to crack- especially the inlet. I'll have to see if I can find plastic barbs at a store near me, thanks for the tidbit of info :)

I would highly recommend the Danner Mag 3... just did the leak mod--easiest mod you'll ever do probly, so don't let that discourage you AT ALL.

I found the correct plastic fitting for the inlet at home depot.

You were also debating T-line or Res-- really it comes down to what you think you'll prefer. I've used both and right now prefer using a Res, mostly cause I like the look of a bunch of green water in my case :p

I read that nikhsub1 implemented his T into his heatercore, if I remember right it worked very well for him. if you're interested in that he'd prolly give you more info.

good luck!

Back