• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I knackered my 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

I tried to unlock my 2400+ on the first day I got it, in my hurry and excitement I managed to forget to put any superglue in the pits on L3 before I unlocked the 5th L3 bridge.
I think a little of the compund I put onto 5th L3 also leaked into the 4th L3 bridge. I have tried to get it all out of the 4th L3 and it seems to be gone. I have also removed most of the 5th L3 except for the small amount in the pit.
I am now able to get all multipliers up to 12x, 13x gives me 12.5x, 14x gives me 5x, and 15x gives me 5.5x.
I cant figure out why I cant get multis above 12x to work properly now. Must I still be conducting on 4th L3, or is it down to the 5th L3 being connected and my KT333 mobo mucking up the multiplier setting? I contacted Epox and they say the KT333 board can work with this chip and should allow the 14x and 15x multiplier.
The problem isnt that major, but it will hold me back when I get water/phase change on the chip as the highest I can go on my FSB is around 175 (well I've done 206 but not stable), and using the 12.5x multi this only give me 2200ish mhz...I can do that on air..

David

Forums Super Moderator
Try redoing the unlocking job. Remove as much superglue and conductive material as possible from the problem pits. Then redo it. Or you may want to try undoing and redoing the whole thing.

To check that this is not the boards fault, you may want to try a CPU that is definately unlocked correctly, and see if the 14x and 15x mulitis work OK.

David

OP
markodude

markodude

Cheers David - Ill give it a try - you must be the first fellow Scotsman I have seen on these forums - Im from Stirling....:D

David

Forums Super Moderator
markodude said:
Cheers David - Ill give it a try - you must be the first fellow Scotsman I have seen on these forums - Im from Stirling....:D

Ahhh! A scot :)

I am from East Calder myself, a small village near Livingston.

Where about in the UK did you get your 2400+? Or did you order it from overseas?

David

OP
markodude

markodude

Lol I used to work in Livvy at Sky TV! I know the area well having lived in Edinburgh for a few years before I left Scotland.
Now living in the South of England for a while - IT wages and job availability is so much better down here.....
I got my 2400+ from www.scan.co.uk, about 2 weeks ago - they now have 2600+ 333FSB in limited stock also!! Get yourself a pair in that rig of yours and it would be kickass!

The Coolest

When the motherboard won't allow anything higher than 12.5 that means you're "unlocked". the Tbreds all come unlocked, and connecting the 5th L3 is only a workaround for the KT333 boards so that you can get the 12.5 and down multies, when "unlocked" you can't go anywhere above that. You didn't clean the 5th L3 well enough. if you clean it no multiplier lower than 13 will work for you

David

Forums Super Moderator
markodude said:
Lol I used to work in Livvy at Sky TV! I know the area well having lived in Edinburgh for a few years before I left Scotland.
Now living in the South of England for a while - IT wages and job availability is so much better down here.....
I got my 2400+ from www.scan.co.uk, about 2 weeks ago - they now have 2600+ 333FSB in limited stock also!! Get yourself a pair in that rig of yours and it would be kickass!

Dunno if the K7D Master supports 166MHz FSB :(

Plus I drained a large part of my bank account getting my duallie in the first place :p

I will take a look, maybe get dual 2400s after January (my birthday :))

David

OP
markodude

markodude

Ahhhh - I see - I thought it was 4th L3 that was causing my problem. You have totally helped me out there The Coolest, thanks a lot! :D
It is really easy to unock 5th L3 then, as I only have a tiny amount of silver conductive paint in the laser pit - the actual 2 visible contacts are not linked. My error was not using superglue...

I take it I will have to get a KT400 board to keep all of the
multipliers?

The Coolest

Yea I think that most/all KT400 motherboards should support ALL the multies. I would wait on grabbing a new board for now and wait a few weeks for the nForce2. its supposed to be awesome, and will beat any KT333 or KT400 in performance

undertow

Registered
Awesome, I think you may have answered a question of mine I asked earlier..

I "unlocked" my 2200+, but now it wont run at "default" settings (ie. >[email protected]). If I change the multi, it works fine. So, what you're telling me is I can't use >12.5 for a multi now, which is fine by me.. I was just worried. :)

David

Forums Super Moderator
nightowl said:

You can get the 2400+ from www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk for £158. I dont know if that is a good deal or not.

They also have the 2700+ 333fsb but I dont think I will ever pay over £300 for a cpu :eek:

ps I too am a Scot, I hail from Aberdeen.

I will have a look.

I would need to upgrade both CPUs, and £316 for an upgrade is kinda pricey, but dual 2400+s would rock.

David