• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I reached my limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
AMD 5000+ Brisbane (not black edition) and no matter what I can do, I just can't get reliable OC'ing past 2.9GHz. At 2.92GHz Prime95 starts to complain of errors. Higher than that I get either BSoD or PC refuses to POST.

I have tried changing HT link from 1000 to 800, 600, and even 400 and tried changing multiplier lower (max 13x, wont go higher) and bumped the Vcore to 1.4 (won't go past 1.4) Temp didn't go past 42C idle and 54 load so it can't be overheating. I use 600 watts Ultra X-Connect Power Supply (probably using max 400 watts) and using meter I get 12.08v and 5.06v, didn't check 3.3v line.

I also tried loosening the RAM timing and tried the standard 5-5-5-15.

It's almost as if the CPU itself maxes out at 2.9. System spec in my sig below.

Attached a screenshot of CPUz of my current setting.

Attachments

• amd5000.jpg
    amd5000.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 183

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
the limit of your hardware/cooling possible but probably not the limit of the chip.

have you tried more vcore?

henzo

Is that the highest a non Black Edition will go multiplier wise? I have a BE 5000+ but I didnt go with a super high multi to get over 3 ghz. Here is a screenie of what mine is set at to get 3.250ghz stable. It has been up to and runs stable at 3.3ghz, but I didnt like the HT Link being over 1000. So here is mine.

3250Stable.jpg

I like to keep the HT link below 1000 as I find it to be more stable. My current HT is set to 3 in the Bios (hence the 750), a 4 puts it right on 1000. It is stable at 1000, I just wanted to keep it under in case I try to go for a more agressive bus speed maybe later on lol. I hope it helps out.

jiggamanjb

bumped the Vcore to 1.4 (won't go past 1.4) Temp didn't go past 42C idle and 54 load so it can't be overheating. I use 600 watts Ultra X-Connect Power Supply (probably using max 400 watts) and using meter I get 12.08v and 5.06v, didn't check 3.3v line.

I'd say that's too hot. You want to be under 50C load. I'd try to cool that down more so you can push the vCore.

blazed

How is 54C load too hot? Even 60C is very much acceptable for an overclocked CPU, 70C pushing it no recommended for 24/7 but still very doable.

No idea what HSF is being used but 54C is well within its limits, and definetly not holding back the OC.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I've checked the guide and tried a few other tricks. I've knocked HT down to as low as 200 (1x), tried various multiplier and fsb and upped the vcore as high as 1.7v (confirmed via CPUz) I can't go below 8x CPU multiplier because PC just won't POST regardless of FSB and Vcore setting.

Starting at 2.92GHz, Prime95 spits out error and at 2.94+ I get BSoD during bootup or I get no POST at all. because it BSoD's before I can start prime95 or any CPU intenstive tasks, I doubt it's overheating already.

If it's not the CPU being held back, it is probably something else a dud component somewhere? I doubt it is the motherboard doubtful as DFI is a pretty good brand.

Even with 1.7v core the BIOS reported no higher than 48C idle. I know earlier AMD were a bit more forgiving of high heat than earlier Pentium and I would think it is still true today.

I'm using GeminII heat sink with a pair of 120mm fans pushing 60-70 cfm and I've taken the side cover off for more air.

still, 2.9GHz stable is 300MHz more than stock.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
hmmm if it is the heat issue, maybe I should replace the existing 120mm fans with a pair of huge 220cfm Deltas (GFB1212VHW) and possibly a bigger case. My current case is flashy mid tower but there's probably half an inch of clearance at both side of the GeminII.

henzo

hmmm if it is the heat issue, maybe I should replace the existing 120mm fans with a pair of huge 220cfm Deltas (GFB1212VHW) and possibly a bigger case. My current case is flashy mid tower but there's probably half an inch of clearance at both side of the GeminII.

How is your airflow in the case? My case stays fridgidly cold with 5x120mm fans and a 200mm on top (gotta love the Antec 900 lol). Wire management in a cramped case is a must, I only got a wire or 2 showing and thats because I didnt feel like cutting them to make them longer (stupid power and reset buttons). I got an Artic Freezer 64 Pro on mine, I think I paid like $25 for it from a local supplier, internet is probably cheaper, and it works like a champ.

Spion

Tcontrol max (maximum control temperature) is a non physical temperature on an arbitrary scale that can be used
for system thermal management policies. Tcontrol max represents the value at which the processor has reached
Tcase max when measuring the thermal diode with a dual sourcing current temperature sensor.

While you won't last long running 70c , the processor won't burn up if it hits it. I do agree that you shouldn't go over 50-55c when OCing and temperature is the most likely culprit in not being able to break 2.9GHz.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
nearly all the wires and cables have been tucked behind the motherboard plate so very little shows.

Even then the air flow is probably a bit restricted due to number of drives and a huge heat sink. I'm looking into a larger case that should help with the air flow a lot.

AlabamaCajun

Consider knocking out one CD bay cover that is about level with or below the CPU. Place a 90mm fan at the back of the drive cage blowing directly at the CPU sink. This pulls cool air directly to the CPU going to the rear fan which should be a 120. Why use a 90mm as a pusher, generally they move a lot of air that is more focused than a 120 and quieter than an 80mm. I also use AC filter placed just behind the front bezel and wash it every 3 months.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Seems finding a new case that is: 1) about the same or bigger than my current case, 2) offers great air flow, 4) mounts power supply on the bottom and 4) costs under $150 is like asking for miracle.

Maybe I'd have better luck with water cooling? I did used to WC the P4 up until i replaced the rig with my current AMD set. I still have the tubes and a rad, need a new pump, tank, and a CPU block.