• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have mini fridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Right now I use my mini fridge for drinks that I don't want my roommates to get into, but I'd like to cool my computer with it. My case won't fit inside, and I don't want to gut my case and use the fridge for a case... what else could I do with it? Could I dismantle it and make an external enclosure for the compressor/coil/whatever and pipe the cold air into my fan ducts?

Just looking for some general knowlegde and tips.

overdoze

Just an idea. How about place your radiator in the mini fridge if you have watercool system of course

This is way to cold for me hehe :)

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

cooling

I'd do that, but I'm cooling with air. I more or less would like the fridge to act as an air conditioner. The air temp in my house has been 80-85 F lately...

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

fridge

I was thinking maybe I could cut a couple of holes in the fridge and run a duct to my biggest intake fan, and one to my biggest exhaust fan, so the fridge had an air circualtion system...

overdoze

You could try that I guess. But I doubt if it will work b/c:

1. mini fridge cool air real slow. What is the power consumtion on your fridge?

2. You need to insulate the air duct and also the return air. Hard to do.

If the above works I would try using styo foam to cover the top of the fridge instead of drill hole and find out that it does not work

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

fridge

Yeah, I said cutting holes, but I'd actually just remove the door and make a new one with holes in it. Probably 4, 2 intakes for my pc and 2 exhausts. I bet the fridge won't be able to keep up with that much air circulation though.

I think dryer hose would be easiest and cheapest for the ducts (probably 4 or 5 feet long each). And yes, inslation would be a must.

Now, if I could seal my case and make a closed loop for air-circulation....

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

fridges

That looks great, Joecrappa! I just checked out that thread a little while ago. Unfortuantely, I'm trying to devise a way to effectively use a mini fridge with air-cooling.

JoeCrappa

if you were to heat up the air...that would be a lot of cold air that you'd need. and your fridge would have to produce cold air so fast that the compressor will die. odds are that the fride will be working all the time that your comp is on. with a loop it would just keep getting hotter and hotter. also, the hole that you're going to cut for a dryer duct would KILL insulation and you'd lose a heck of a lot of cold air. ducting from outside would be more practical.

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

fridge

JoeCrappa said:
ducting from outside would be more practical.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that the fridge will be over-worked no matter how I set it up.

As for ducting outside air, that's out, at least until next Novemeber when it gets cool again. Its over 80 F in my house already, and its only March. I have 2 window AC units, but its a big house, and neither of them is in my computer room. Temps go above 100 F in the summer here in Texas.

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

bongs

My problem is that I can't spend any more $ on my computer for a while, and when I do, I'll need more memory and a better video card, not 30 or even 100 extra Mhz (although I'll take the Mhz if I can get 'em cheaply). There is a hardware store across the street from where I live and I can spend a little cash, but I'm hoping to, you know, get some duct tape and some bailing wire and use the Macguyver technique to magically drop my cpu temps with stuff I have around the house or can buy for cheap.

I'd love to make a bong for my computer, but I haven't really read up on the subject. Aren't bongs a way to cool water for a water-cooling system, via evaporative phase-change? I mean, can a bong be used in an air-cooled system?