• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

having a tough time pulling the heatsink off my XFX Double D HD 7850 2 GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

So one of my cards can run 1.33v just fine, the other card can barely do 1.25v, anything above that and it artifacts... so i decided to open up the other card, i unscrewed all the screws on the bottom and sides and exposed the heatsink...

For some reason, its taking a lot of energy to pull that heatsink of the GPU, i don't want to break my card, are these cards glued on or something? or is there some sort of thermal pad i don't know about?

thermal pads are just sticky plastic-y rubber stuff. They won't pull out memory chips (at least not from any card I've ever pulled apart). I would double check that you have every single screw removed that holds the heatsink onto the card. After that may just try twisting it a tiny bit one direction and the other to loosen the thermal paste adhesion that is going on.

Back