• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 2900XT Sapphire from ZZF (As well)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
skoreanime said:
Not sure if this is significant to many of you or not, but here it is anyways.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12552

Seems the current x2900XT lacks UVD acceleration.

Personally I do not see that as an issue at all. The number of people that are going to be using their
computer as HD movie player is not that large. When they are using it that way they will be kicked
back watching the movie and not doing anything else on the system so the 50% CPU load is a moot
point.

Face it these cards will be going into systems with a lot of CPU horsepower. The 2400 and 2600
ards generally won't and those setups need the UVD hardware accel to keep from running out CPU.

Viper

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
toddm27 said:
yeah running the amd tool basically disables one card and overclocks one :(, so we've gotta wait on wizzard to fix atitool

Well I will say it again. Two years and ATI still can't get overclocking a CF setup working
without going to an externally made tool. That is pathetic.

Viper

ninjasper

Registered
ViperJohn said:
No air mods on the 2900's. You are not going to get better than the stock cooler temperature wise if you
get the stock cooler off thermal control and manually set the fan speed. You may get quieter though but
then you have to think about all the other components the stock cooler is taking care of that a new air cooler
wouldn't.

Viper

what are you using to manually set the fan speed?
is thermal control the name of an app for gpu fan control? i am curious because my card seems to be idling really hot and silent, but i'd give up some decibels to keep it from tripping the full blast every 5 minutes passive mode.

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
Hazaro said:
RivaTool I'm guessing

Correct. It's an early build of RivaTuner 2.02 Unwinder sent me. It can control the fans and
monitor the clocks/temps but no clock changing yet. It soon be out at Guru3D pretty soon.

Viper

Hazaro

Well how does it perform in games? I recall it was doing worse before. What's you do to it now? :sn:

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
Hazaro said:
Well how does it perform in games? I recall it was doing worse before. What's you do to it now? :sn:

I do not test in games. Just to many variables and no time. It's no secret the 2900 doesn't game or do AA
as well as the 8800's in most cases but that is largely very immature (read crap lol) drivers and will improve
over time with driver tuning/tweaking and debugging.

Some of the other forum members have been doing a lot of game testing and are showing better gaming
results with RC drivers. I think they are in this thread some where too.

What the numbers show is the 2900XT has the stones to easily compete heads up with an 8800GTX. It
just doesn't have drivers that are worth a damn right now.

I will have pictures up at my site sometime today I hope and 8800Ultra results next week.

Viper

omniskillz

dudleycpa said:
Omniskillz

Your original ewiz link now points to a Asus 2900XT.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-2900XT

hey i think i found another deal. buy.com has a 7% coupon til may 30th.
i can get a evga 8800gts 640mb for 295.49 after main in rebate and if ur feelin frisky sign up for buy.com visa if u havent for 30 dollars off so final price is 265.49 for evga 8800gts 640mb! which is a pretty sweet price
free shipping.
or evga 8800 gtx for 511.49 - 30 = $481.49
or as this thread is about the 2900xt u could opt for the diamond 2900xt at
371.99 -30 visa card , final price is 340.99 free shipping.

let me know what u think is better or if ur gonna buy one. :santa:

Last edited:

toddm27

I'd go for the 2900xt over the gts myself, I've had both and the 2900xt is more of a gtx competitor for much less $$