• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 2900XT Sapphire from ZZF (As well)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well DM20 I ordered one too. Will test in WinXP and ME-II with my 3.9Ghz C2D both stock
and fully modded with ViperFang water.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Well DM20 I ordered one too. Will test in WinXP and ME-II with my 3.9Ghz C2D both stock
and fully modded with ViperFang water.

Viper

Mmmm water, im just hoping the block I got fits on it since it. Otherwise I'll have a leaf blower for a while. And welcome to the club, but of course your 8800GTX will be more powerful, expecially at your insane clocks.

deathman20 said:
Mmmm water, im just hoping the block I got fits on it since it. Otherwise I'll have a leaf blower for a while. And welcome to the club, but of course your 8800GTX will be more powerful, expecially at your insane clocks.

Oh making the WB fit is like a zero issue. It's no problem to machine the step in the base.

The only reason I got the card is after looking at Shimano's numbers it looks like I can get the card to beat
out a modded 8800GTX in the benchmarks without using phase. If I can't out right beat a modded GTX in
the BM's then I can get damn close for a lot less money for people.

The game numbers will improve with driver releases no doubt about that. The 8.38 are the ones to lay hands
on but they just aren't available for D/L that I have seen.

I am just going to test, mod, test then sell it...probably down under. It's been a long time since i've had
an ATI card with the possible potential to top an NV card when both are modded.

BTW W1zzards 2900 XT had 1.0ns chips too. Pretty sure the reviewer at the INQ flat blew it on the chip speed
in his write just like he did on the Vcore PS phase count.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Oh making the WB fit is like a zero issue. It's no problem to machine the step in the base.

Well for me not having a machine shop ;) Might be a little hard. Are you going to make a custom water block for the whole setup or are you going to separate the memory/power regs and core? Curious because if you make something like that I might be interested.

deathman20 said:
Well for me not having a machine shop ;) Might be a little hard. Are you going to make a custom water block for the whole setup or are you going to separate the memory/power regs and core? Curious because if you make something like that I might be interested.

Separates solutions for each section. There isn't an "all in one" made that is worth a damn cooling wise and
of course they all turn into instant paper weight's at card upgrade. To make an "all in one" that really got the
job doen would cost a bloody fortune and you would still have the problem with it becoming a paper weight
(and a really expensive one!) at card upgrade.

Will be using standard ViperFang's (haven't decided if I will use a -III or -IV yet) and SuperSinks. I already
know the on card PS's (mosfets and sinked phase series inductors MUST fan cooled.

Viper

In most all the pro reviews the 2900 does misporportionately better in 3DM than it does in games. AMD spent time on optimizing the driver for the benchmark instead of games that have been out for a while? I guess it will be the same as always, release the hardware then update the drivers to solve problems. It's just kind of sad in this case because it was delayted for so long.

Ah well my package is Packed :) YAY!

Now im wondering if I need more sinks for the power regulators since I have some but not alot and surely I'll be sinking all the ram sinks with the water cooling kit I have coming.

Dang thinking of it, I'd need 16 more DOH (8 more for the rear ram modules and 8 more for the power regulators) Viper you think I need them for the ram right away? At least the sinks come in handy in more then one way but just want to make sure since I'll order it now rather then when its too late when I convert to the water cooler.

Last edited:
An interesting note on that Inquirer review was that even though the 2900XT used more power, it didn't have as severe hot spots as the 8800GTS/X boards did.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39580

Heating - A problem discovered
We have obtained, at the last minute, an IC thermometer with laser guidance, and we will be showing you these pictures in our future graphics card reviews. R600 vs. GTS vs. GTX (both single-GPU and SLI) thermal graphs will also posted during the week.

Yes, HD2900XT heats a lot. Does it heat more than Nvidia? Well, brace yourselves for impact, my dear readers, the answers might be quite surprising. In our testing inside the case, 8800GTX had a 100degC spot on the card. It was the very same spot that is heating like crazy on every nV card after 7800GTX (including the 7800GTX) - on the backside of the board, right close to the back of two 6-pin power connectors, we would see a 99-102degC spot. 102degC was reached inside a closed case after 1hr of 3DMark06 loop. MSI 8800GTS was also similar, and one spot at the back of power regulation was recorded at 92degC. Thus, seeing 88degC hotspot on the back of ATI card was actually surprising. We did expected 100 or so degrees Celsius.

Yeah I saw that as well, quiet amazed by that. Then again its a thicker PBC so maybe it helps dissipate the heat better as well.

I'm also liking the capless VRM design a lot better. If they get that 65nm chip out with 1GB of memory, that would be something to really see. Better drivers for Linux would seal the deal for me.

Audioaficionado said:
I'm also liking the capless VRM design a lot better. If they get that 65nm chip out with 1GB of memory, that would be something to really see. Better drivers for Linux would seal the deal for me.

Indeeed. The VRM from the looks of it doesn't even look like it had direct contact with the Heatsink itself either so they must run cool unlike the X1900XT which I know mine ran warm. Maybe I can just use the heatsinks im getting on the Power Regulators so im not spending a bunch of money on more ram sinks. Oh well we'll see.

I know AMD is talking about open source if not mistaken for the graphic drivers.

Zipzoomfly went up on there 2900XT Sapphire price as well $15 more but the order didn't reflect the change yay.

deathman20 said:
Zipzoomfly went up on there 2900XT Sapphire price as well $15 more but the order didn't reflect the change yay.

It shouldn't go up - You already paid for it.

What brand of card did you order Dman?

Sapphire. I would of gone Asus but I don't see any one with them out. Im sure i can pawn my friends STALKER disk off him anyways.

deathman20 said:
Sapphire. I would of gone Asus but I don't see any one with them out. Im sure i can pawn my friends STALKER disk off him anyways.

The Asus card does look nice and STALKER doesn't hurt either.

Did you see the Sapphire Toxic version that is water cooled?

dudleycpa said:
The Asus card does look nice and STALKER doesn't hurt either.

Did you see the Sapphire Toxic version that is water cooled?

I saw the MSI one that looked like garbage. Didn't even know there was pics of the Sapphire one yet.

BTW Some more reviews, as to what effect drivers will have.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2189809&postcount=1204

Wait NM I did see the Sapphire Toxic version. Looks to have a dual 5 1/4" Bay to itself for the water cooler. I can't wait to get mine installed ;) 15% OC on it seems weak since people on stock coolers can get 850Mhz on core. Temperatures are probably nicer though and has to be quieter as well.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
An interesting note on that Inquirer review was that even though the 2900XT used more power, it didn't have as severe hot spots as the 8800GTS/X boards did.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39580

A hot spot on a card is nothing new. Depending on where they are on the card and what is generating the heat,
a given hot spot can run the range from meaningless to extremely serious. The key is knowing which ones are
an issue to be dealt with and which ones are a moot point. In this case the hot spot the INQ is referring to on the
NV cards in that error filled article is a moot point and of no concern in the performance or lifespan departments.

Viper

Back