• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD isnt defragmenting 100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sentry

Registered
wasnt sure whether to post here or the "Storage" section..my problem is that after i run the defragger program -- part of system mechanic pro-- it said that there were some files (7-12%) unable to be defragmented .."files still in process".

do i have to run it in safe mode or is there something else i can do??

Thx.

Papier

I know that some defragger programs doesn't defrag certain parts when there's some background programs opened. have everything closed? Also could be system files. Winxp defragger never touches them, and other proggies might do the same.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

PoX Freak

Same idea here.
Personally, I think you should be able to do a 100% defrag under XP, but i gues it comes down to stability and access issues.
How do you defrag a file which is in use 100% of the time?
They should have never gotten rid of the DOS version to begin with.

OP
S

sentry

Registered
i tried running in safemode, had some of the proccess shutoff and still the same result. 8% of a 10gig hd(laptop).. i dont think it will have not much of a significant impact on performance... folder/files
pagefile.sys and windows\ntbtlog.txt...

thx for the suggestions..

DayUSeX

to fully "100%' defrag you will need a 3rd party program, disk keeper 8.0 is the best in my mind, try it and usually in the first pass everything will be 99% defragged if not more.

andy334

very large file will give You this result
IE movies,partition backup-after defrog program will tell You that HD is fragmented