• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brian Fellow

Registered
I have a HD that 9gb, i think it is 4200 rpm. Does having a really slow rpm have any effect on games?

Wolfmist

Yes is would. If a game is using your swap file a lot, it will make the problem worse. What processor do you have, and how much ram, and what graphics card?

If you have something like 64mb or 128mb of memory, then upgrading to 256 or 512 mb will make a problem with a HD much less.

OP
B

Brian Fellow

Registered
p3 733 mhz, 128 ram, and geforce 2 mx 400 64mb PCI(its in mail, havent installed it yet). I am trying to decide if i should add 128 more ram or get a new HD.
Thanks for helping me out.

Wolfmist

Thats a tough choice for what you have. I'm assuming money is the issue here, otherwise I would say both.

That is an old hard drive you have, but if you don't need anymore storage, and long load times (for anything) isn't an issue, then I'd say upgrade your memory. That should clear up a lot of hiccups that occur in games when windows uses the hard drive as virtual memory.

By the way, what do you use your computer for?

AntiHeiss

I would vote for the new hard drive. You'll get more speed and no matter how much RAM you have, windows is still going to use the paging file anyway. Go with the hard drive. You'll notice a better increase in speed over getting more RAM...of course thats just my opinion.

explorer

I would vote memory, assuming you have sdram it would be dirt cheap to put another 256 or 512 in there.