• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angelus Errare

Registered
I've been wanting to make it so I can switch between to HDs like one might have windows wile the other might have linux. I was hoping just to make a simple switch that can be flipped before turning the PC on.... any ideas?

thanks to anyone that can help.

stool

Welcome to the forums.
A better idea might be to use a boot manager like you get with Partition Magic.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
While I don't know exactly where you can find one, they do actually make these with a key to keep the SP from turning it while the computer is on. I think I saw it in MaximumPC. If I get a chance, I'll take a look. I think all it does is changes the jumper on the back of the drive from master to slave. When it's set as master, it boots using its own boot record, not recognising the OS on the other drive. When the other is set to master, it too boots its own OS. Once in the OS, you might see the other drive, but I don't recomend writing to it. But this will keep you from having to configure boot managers and if you ever remove Linux or Windows, you won't have to re-do your boot loader. However, I think this setup is really overkill. A boot manager is easier, and it's free . . .

Z