• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD6950 temperature/crash issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah you want to get that fixed to prevent anything (expensive card, etc) from getting damaged.

Alright so I got the Corsair HX750 750W in today, installed it... no change :( Crashes still happen either randomly or on purpose (it's reproducible as before)

So now I'm leaning towards some sort of driver issue - but then why are only some people experiencing the same issues as me, and why didn't it get fixed through almost five driver versions?

I'm confused :(

Well at least now I know my good quality PSU won't fail me so I might be able to get around to overclocking my system some, so it was a worthwhile purchase (even more so considering I'll be selling the old one), even though it did not fix the issue it was meant to fix. I really wonder what it could be, it can't possibly be the card's hardware since it works fine except when it decides to crash on me, if the card was even remotely damaged it would be artifacting all over the place.

Last edited:
Maybe try completely uninstalling the drivers via control panel, and run Driver Sweeper with ATI settings. Start fresh and see if that helps?

I'll be trying to reinstall the drivers with a complete wipe shortly. If this makes no difference, I'll definitely consider RMA. My card is still under warranty, but is this kind of "non-crippling" issue (I can work around it but it is very annoying and sort of dangerous) eligible for an RMA?

I'm still not sure how the card itself could be bad, considering it's failing at low temperatures and working well at higher temperatures. This particular thermal characteristic pretty much rules out any kind of software issue, but honestly I don't see what hardware could be causing this issue - it can either be the PSU, the motherboard, or the card itself - any other component has no direct hardware communication with the GPU. Nevertheless the CPU is fine, and my RAM's passed memtest86+ 100 passes (both sticks, checked that a few weeks ago).

The PSU's been eliminated from the equation, I'm really not sure how a failing motherboard would cause this confusing thermal reaction from the card, so it's really only the GPU left. Or could it be the motherboard?

Back