• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd auto detection effected by cmos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

if your cmos battery is failing, can it effect the auto detection of a harddisk?

not if the harddisk had to be manually inputted and the clearing lost that, but the actual autodetection process..

Monaco

it depends on the system, I suppose. usually the "Auto" setting for HD detection is the default, and a dead CMOS battery puts everything at default.

Then again, dead or dying batteries can have some really odd effects! :D If you are thinking it may be dying, just replace it- they're only like three bucks.

Disputant

with computers anything is possible. in your case I would start with the jumpers on the drive being off maybe. Are you in the primary or secondary ports on the mobo?

Unless of course thing thing just stopped working, then ignore what I just said and replace the battery...