• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Failing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miller220

Registered
My friend just got home today, and restarted her computer, and now her computer refuses to work. It worked fine before she restarted it, but it is telling her now that it cant detect a HDD. Its a Dell Laptop of which model I cant remember.. Any Suggestions? :confused:

OP
Miller220

Miller220

Registered
I would if she wasnt currently in Canada at the moment and I'm in US. Also, the laptop didnt move...so does this mean she's fried it?

Trap05

Use the built in Dell diagnostics or download the HD manufacturers HD test tool

OP
Miller220

Miller220

Registered
She cant even boot into windows. She said she turns the computer on, it beeps, then says theres no primary hdd detected.

OP
Miller220

Miller220

Registered
OHH she did do the diagnostic thing when it boots, and it still says no hdd

OP
Miller220

Miller220

Registered
I'll ask her to check the bios for the boot sequence thing right now...she's emailing me on her DSi...so this is like fixing a computer via snail mail =\

Trap05

If the bios and the diagnostics don't see the drive either its not properly connected or its dead. Smart money goes on dead

OP
Miller220

Miller220

Registered
If she can move the bios in the boot order, does that mean that her HDD recognizes it, or does that just mean that the pc will look for a HDD first?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It will mean its looked for first. Im betting its a dead drive, but sillier things have happened....