• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD- Need to slave it? Or can it run as an external drive without?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have a left over HDD that has WinXP SP3 installed on it left over from an old rig.

Can I drop the drive into an external drive enclosure as is, and connect it to the my Win7 computer for the purpose of pulling off the old files BEFORE I reformat the drive? OR do I need to make that drive a slave via the jumpers to do this?

Will my Win7 computer be able to "look" into the XP drive for the files despite being different OS's on each drive?

Thanks in advance.

Slave jumpers aren't used these days, just plug it in.
You'll likely need to assign a drive letter.

Jumpers... wow.. its been several years since those were used... like IDE ribbon cable days.

Just plug it in. It should assign itself a drive letter, pull the files off and format. Plug. And. Play.

And master/slave matters only when you have two devices on the cable... it was some time ago :)

If the old drive is IDE and the only drive on the cable, it shouldn't matter what it is set to. Later drives even had an option to automatically select the appropriate master/slave option.

If the old drive is IDE and the only drive on the cable, it shouldn't matter what it is set to. Later drives even had an option to automatically select the appropriate master/slave option.

Thanks a lot guys. It worked fine. I haven't used jumpers in a while either, but I couldn't remember what might be needed. It's working fine.:D

Back