• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N3K0

Registered
Should I replace my HDD if I hear any noises coming from it. They are the old HDD noise if anyone knows what I am talking about. Sometimes sounds like R2D2.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Any unusual noises are bad. If it's making a noise that it didn't make a month/year/decade ago, it's time to replace it.

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
so I got a new hdd, WD Caviar Blue. Should it make any noise at all, or should it be completely silent? Every now and then I can hear it working. Does that mean I should exchange it for a different one?

Vipersfate

Most drives make sounds when they are working. If you're hearing beeps, clicks, cracks, or a high pitched whining sound, I would worry about the drive failing. I have a 150GB Raptor in my computer, and it loud as hell when it works, but it's supposed to make some noise.

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
any hdd burn in test that would push them to a point that would cause them to break if they were faulty that you would recommend?

Logikos

Registered
any hdd burn in test that would push them to a point that would cause them to break if they were faulty that you would recommend?

Rmm... Your drive should be fine - but if you want to put some pressure on it run Everest Linear reads among other variations.. and/or HD Tune Pro. Both of these will put it at 100% utilization.. max read MB/s.. Max write MB/s .. Fastest seek times.. and other options for random 'all over the drive action' where the spindle head is going from outer plate to middle, to inside to outer etc.. in random fashion (and you can hear it too).

As for noise.. HDD's make SOME noise (unless they are Solid state). If they have moving parts they are going to make noise.

*generally* the lower the RPM the less noise, but some drives are more notoriously noisy than others, and the same drive can sound noisier in Joe's case than Bob's case.. you know?

Anyhow.. I have quite a few HD's.. WD's, Seagate's, Generics (no idea what they are), and on..

The one I use the most are my Western Digitals and Seagate..

Specifically the Western Digital Caviar Black , 1TB, 7200RPM. *and* The Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB. Very similar drives in stats.. but different in noise levels.

The Western Digital Caviar Black is much more noisy than the Seagate Barracuda.. but it is also faster on the random access time.. making me believe the spindle and other parts might move a little quicker. (I've clocked it on avg 1.5ms faster).

My point here is the WD Caviar (which is fairly new).. makes alot of noise, and I was sort of shocked when I got it home 8-9months ago and installed it. I just chalked it up to the 7200 rpm, as the previous drive was a WD 5400.. but, while it is the speed, the Seagate I have now (just got it) can not be heard in normal operation. (If I stick my ear up to the drive I can hear it,.. sure.

The WD Caviar rumbles like only a HD can sound (I couldn't think of any clever things that it sounds like, cause only an HD sounds like an HD :) ). Nonetheless it is loud enough for me to notice, and to annoy me.

IE: The computer with the WD Caviar Black is in my bedroom.. and if I leave it on (usually do).. I often can get annoyed by Vista randomly seeking for whatever reason it may be doing so. Either updating, defragging,.. or doing something that is completely unnecessary lol, who knows.

So, I would bet my bottom dollar that your new drive is working as intended, and you will have no problems out of it.

They do make material that you can use to dampen the noise inside the case. (I don't have any links handy.. but it is out there) -- You can also look up some homemade methods if the noise bothers you. If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry with it. The drives have , IIRC, a 3yr standard warranty anyhow.

If you care,.. drives all have accoustical specifications measured at the factory and are published "somewhere". It will list something like this:

Acoustics
Idle Mode 28 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 0 33 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 3 29 dBA (average)

This will give you an idea of what normal sound levels should be.. if you are familiar with dBA's.. (if not, look em up) :)

Hope that helps,

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
Logikos that is exactly the explanation that I need! Thank you very much, and thank you to everyone else that posted on this.