• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD not recognised

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben Cole

Friend has a dual HDD system......tried installing XP on it and it tried to install itself onto the second HDD. Anyway, he decided against it( only a 750mhz athlon) so he used his system restore to get back to square one cos he doesn't have a windows 98 disc.

Anyway now the second HDD is not shown in " my computer", and I suspect it is because there is some files from an operating system on there.

Question is, what is the easiest way to re format this drive and therefore get it recognised by win 98 on the other hdd??

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Looks like what happened was XP formatted the drive as NTFS, and therefore 9X can't read it. easiest way would be download the disk utilieties for the drive and low level format then start again. You could just try fdisk'ing it (it would show up as "Non-DOS Partition") but it may or may not work. Should be no problem, lemme know if you got probs doing it.

N

nerdlogic

With FDisk, you should be able to see the drive and its partitions and convert it back to the FAT32 file sytem. Win98 doesn't like NTFS.

OP
Ben Cole

Ben Cole

Why didn't I think of that?

LOL thanks guys, thats why fora are so great.
The second one was trying to format in NTFS apparently so obviously it wouldn't be recognised!!!