• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD & SCSI question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

I have a scsi set up that I was running and now trying to sell. I just got my NF7-S and wanted to run ata150 serillel. now would that be faster than my 10k seagate HDD?

XWRed1

What is Serillel?

What scsi speed was your 10k seagate? What drive are you going to use on serial ata? At best, serial ata should about match your 10k seagate if the seagate is newish and not on a slow bus.

Quick69GTO

If it is a 10k drive, it should be a 160 or above.
Switching to serial ATA will show no significant gain in speed.
You may gain a lot more hard drive space.
My suggestion would be to get a large serial ATA drive and use it for your installed programs/storage.
Use the SCSI drive for Windows.
Good luck!

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Looking at your thread, the card and adapter are U2W with an 80MB/s interface speed. Likely throughput from the drive will be in the 40MB/s range. If the other devices are hung on the same interface, performance will be even lower as SE devices will hinder performance. Yes, going to SATA will help your speeds. Not by an insane amount, but it will be a bit faster nonetheless.

CCW

Xtreme refugee
The SCSI is going to be faster as it doesnt need to use the processor as much as PATA or SATA do.

Craig