• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Weirdness?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hassmh

Registered
I'm running a pair of WD 80GB SE drives (waiting on new mobo to RAID them) and one started making some funny noises. Sounded like it was powering off and then back on, but it was enough to crash Windows. Happened about a dozen times yesterday, and a couple times the night before. WD diagnostics say the drives are OK.

It seems to be OK now after I yanked my round cable and put a regular one in there, and the other drive is fine on its round cable. Anybody else have probs like this? I searched the forums here and other places and haven't seen this type of thing before. Should I replace my other round cable?

Just want to be sure my drives stay healthy until I get around to RAIDing them!

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
You mean it was spinning up and down constantly?

I'd blame it on the cable, or a loose power connector. Usually when HDDs do that, it's not a good idea to keep the machine on for much longer. :p

OP
hassmh

hassmh

Registered
It wasn't constantly doing it cuz I switched it off ASAP each time it did it. It just clicked off, like the power went off, then back on again, and then Windows hung a few seconds later. Sometimes it would run an hour or so, sometimes died after just 10-15 minutes, even did it after unplugging and replugging the power, the IDE cable, plugging system into another outlet....:rolleyes:

The only thing that worked was pulling out the round cable and putting in a regular ribbon. Makes me wonder if the other roundy will go bad anytime soon!

If nobody's had this before, I guess I just got a bad cable. These are the first round ones I've used, trying to get a little better airflow in a packed case. Guess maybe I should just get another full tower...
:rolleyes: