• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI to Digital Coax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

This will seem like a silly question, but I can't find one so I'll ask...

HDMI carries what should be equivalent to the signal carried upon a digital coax line... so... do any companies make an inline adapter that an HDMI cable can plug into, has HDMI coming out, and a digital coax line coming out? The reason is that I am getting a TV with HDMI, but my receiver does -not- have HDMI. I can bypass the receiver using an HDMI switch which I will need anyways, but I still need some manner of feeding audio into it.

Thanks!

OP
AntmanMike

AntmanMike

That's not my issue.

I have a receiver that does not take HDMI, and a TV that does. If I want to make an HDMI system, I need a 4 to 1 HDMI switch (easy), but then I need to branch SPDIF off from the HDMI out to my receiver -- I can't find that part, though.

Neuromancer

What are you trying to connect to your TV with an HDMI cable?

If it is a motherboard, just use the motherboards Digital audio out to connect to the receiver.

If it is another device (cable box for example) it should also have a separate digital audio output you can connect to the receiver. Either can be changed with a few remote or mouse clicks. (For cable box turn it off and press menu and cycle through the option to select audio output preference, for computer right click speaker in systray select playback devices and pick)

I have never heard of an HDMI to HDMI/Digital audio adapter, but have seen HDMI to DVI/Digital Audio adapters and the like before, might have to look at other options there.

Also your TV may have pass through capability so you can connect the TV digital audio out to the receiver. Although depending on the quality of the TV, you might lose DDL/DTS encoding from it.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
Not the end all for cabling, coupling and adapters. It is the first place I look. :D I was facing a strange connection issue like the OP and this was the best price and actually had the item I was looking for. It did take a little bit to locate my product.

http://www.monoprice.com

I wanted four ToSlink to one... May of not be an elegant switch, but does do the job and was a not to bad price. Even though it was not exact. I got a product that worked. Which was three ToSlink to one.

If you cannot find what you need. See if an email will produce results.

Last edited: