• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headphones for traveling and work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbdub

Registered
I need some headphones that I can use at work for 8 hours a day at my desk and also take on road trips to listen to movies on the laptop.

requirements:
  • comfortable
  • noise-cancelling
  • < $100
  • best sound quality possible in that price range

I have been looking at www.headphone.com. Some headphones that they gave high ratings to in my price range are:

These 2 are IEMs, but I dont have to have an IEM. Comfort is a must, and I have never wore an IEM so I do not know how I will like them. I was thinking of the IEMs because they are small and dont look like I am piloting an aircraft.

Also, I will consider buying a cheap amp (~$100) if it can be justified that it makes them sound $100 better.

So, do you have any advice for a headphone with my criteria? I listen to XM radio all day long, but sometimes the office gets noisy when certian people use speakerphone with their door open :bang head. Also, since I work at a locomotive remfg plant the test locomotive geta a little noisy too. These are both sounds I would like to block out.

i ave some sony "in"ear ones, cant remeber the model, were $80 canadian - cancel out alot of noise cause they are in ear, the sound quality is great for me.
my in ear - or IEM? first time they were very very weird to wear, but now they are comfy for me and i often dont realize they are in - but it did take getting used to shoving something so far into my ear.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/

If this is an ad sorry, but that site has tons of useful information and very helpful members that will help you find you find your perfect headphones.

I've personall tried the shure E2C's, and I thought they were pretty decent at noise canceling, but didn't really notice the sound quality. Almost a majority of the time, unless you go into the upper echelon of headphones, you honeslty won't notice a sound difference unless you buy those generic POS's from the gift store.

Back