• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

headphones that don't rot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I'm trying to find A nice pair of headphones that the ear muffs won't rot and become flaky after A couple of months.
It seems that under $100 that is just not going to be found.
I prefer wired and would like to stay ...let's say between $150-$200.
I'm using A set of my dave clarks right now, sound quality is not at the top of my list, I'm older and understand my ears are not the best anyway. I do need A mic. for gaming.
Any ideas?

Have you searched for replacement ear pads for your current set of headphones? I found they were easy to swap with my Bose headphones & not very expensive.

I have an Audio Technica MX50 set that I've been using for about 10 years. No problems with them of any kind, but I do treat them gently. I'm also hearing impaired and find that the larger drivers help with sound quality. I've had several makes/models of headphones over the years and these are the best that I've owned.

at $100 the replacement parts are just not worth paying for vs just another set.
I have the dave clark stuff, what I like from them are A little bulky and over the top for K-pop and acid-synth over the computer, great in the plane, not so much around the house.
there was A brand I had once, very high end, the name started with an "s'".

Which do you have? Most expensive pads were like $55, most like $10-30.

Seinheiser?

I never knew thise headphones were for anything but flying.. lol.

I have some Audio Technica ATH- PRO5X and ATH-A500X...

I bought some replacment ear pads on the PRO5X because i dont like the vynil/plastic ones that most come with and the replacments were cheap. the A500X i couldnt do that with but they are still holding up just fine.

I use the PRO5X more, since it had a detachable cord i was able to get a replacement with mic so i use it as a headset for games now too with my USB dongle from my plantronics 777
this was the mic https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Boom-Microphone-Playstation-QuietComfort/dp/B07W3W9LHV/

I ordered the sennheiser momentum 4, they should be at the house before we return.

I used to have the same issue with ear pads going back quickly, until I started using BeyerDynamic headphones. My first set was their DT-990 Pro 250ohm (It is offered in several different impedances) that I paid $140 for a few years back. The original ear pads lasted nearly two years with 3-5 hour sessions nearly every day. I replaced them about 6 months ago before upgrading to the BeyerDynamic DT-1990 Pro. Their velour ear pads really seem to last, and I suspect theses new 1990 pads will last longer, as they seem to be of a higher quality than the 990 pads were, but time will tell.

In my experience, Sennheiser pleather pads last 8-12 months with the same type of use, and I experienced the same pad rot happening with Kingston HyperX headsets, and the worst pad life has been with my Beats Studio Wireless that I use strictly for air travel (maybe 30 hours of use per year), and I have to change them every few years.

Back