• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up on Newegg.com.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I wanted to share my recent experience ordering from Newegg.com since I have seen alot of posts mentioning going through them as of late.

Overall, it seemed as everyone was happy with their own experience...this is what led me to buy my VP6 from them as well.

I placed my order on Friday, July 6th for an Abit VP6 motherboard. $154 and change after everything. I had to call my credit card company beforehand to have my address changed since I moved so no problems would arise with credit card authorization. This is where I am extremely pissed off...

Newegg charges my card for the $154 and change and then Saturday morning informs me that they cannot complete the next phase of my order because of the address problem with my credit card. I checked my online banking account and it had even been updated before I placed my order. I was not upset about it being declined, BUT...THEY CHARGED ME BEFORE THEY EVEN CHECKED WHETHER OR NOT IT COULD BE SHIPPED! This to me is unacceptable and, to say the least, unbelievable.

I received all this in an email asking me to immediately call the service center to straighten things out. I call. They are closed even though they could send this email asking me to call them. Automated email or not, this is retarded. I sent a very disgruntled email to them after this in which I have still not heard back from. I did call Monday morning and spoke to the most helpful (in the most sarcastic voice I know) service rep that told me it was all fine now. I ended up calling back later that afternoon and actually did get ahold of a very nice kid that also said it went through and would ship today or tomorrow (Tuesday). I just found out it has been shipped.

I will never order Newegg again. Any company that charges my card before that even know whether or not they can ship my product gets an F in my book. I won't order nor will I ever recommend them to anyone no matter how quickly it gets here or anything else after I receive it.

Worse has happened to others, I know and in the end I got what I wanted but they have lost any trust I could ever have in that company. I expect anything I spend my money on to be perfect and if I'm going to give my personal information over the internet to anyone, it better damn well be better than a perfect experience to me.

Thanks for letting me vent and I would heavily consider Newegg's practices before ever ordering from them if any of you are thinking about it (again).

Jon,

It't not a matter of they "couldn't" ship without an AVS match but "wouldn't".

I agree that if they processed your order and charge the cc that they should be obligated to ship, match or no match.

Jon:

Some merchant services will allow a transaction to go through, even though it shows no match with billing address using AVS. A vendor then has the choice to take the chance & ship the order, which can turn around & bite them in the rear if it turns out to be an unauthorized charge; or place the order on hold and contact the customer. It's a tough call for an online vendor, and if it wasn't for so many frauds on the net, it wouldn't have been an issue. Believe me, most of us would rather be able to trust each order coming through, then risking of upsetting customers by telling them that their order is on hold. Banks often have multiple systems/database, the one you checked may have been updated with latest addy, but the one runs their AVS check may not have been updated yet.

PS: Why am I defending our competitor?! :D

Humphrey,

I don't know what system you or anyone else uses but whether we receive an order through the system or process one manually, they ALWAYS have to be finalized (the card actually charged) manually. We see the AVS info before an order is finalized and have the opportunity (which we use more often than I wish we'd have to) to "get it right" the first time.

I have had orders shipped to me at an address different than what was on my credit card. Only about 3 weeks ago actually.

I do agree with the security measure part of it and did not cancel my order simply because of that. I also stated that in my email to them. What I find the most distressing is the fact that they will take my credit information, charge my account and then, on the next day, bother to see whether or not they can (will) ship my order.

Had they checked this before charging me then I would be perfectly fine with everything that has happened otherwise.

I applaud all those companies that take the time to take these secure measures when fulfilling online orders with people's private credit information, but this, to me, is nothing other than a company looking for nothing other than to get my money first and ask questions later...

Tachyon (Jul 10, 2001 09:38 p.m.):
I don't know what system you or anyone else uses but whether we receive an order through the system or process one manually, they ALWAYS have to be finalized (the card actually charged) manually. We see the AVS info before an order is finalized and have the opportunity (which we use more often than I wish we'd have to) to "get it right" the first time.

Terry,

Our previous processor were like that, and I know some other banks do the same (I was a banker for 5+ years). Now we have a much better merchant service provider, allow us to protect us and card holders better. AVS in general has improved over last couple years, it's still not perfect, nor work with outside of US.

you can also add shipping addresses to credit cards so that you can ship to work and or home.

DaNut (Jul 10, 2001 09:52 p.m.):
Tachyon (Jul 10, 2001 09:38 p.m.):

Terry,

Our previous processor were like that, and I know some other banks do the same (I was a banker for 5+ years). Now we have a much better merchant service provider, allow us to protect us and card holders better. AVS in general has improved over last couple years, it's still not perfect, nor work with outside of US.

Maybe I was unclear. When an order is placed with us (either thru the site or manually) we see the AVS info. The order then has to be manually finalized to charge the cc. You are right though....AVS isn't perfect!

I can understand you being upset, but honestly this is a pretty special instance. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of online vendors would "fail" this test if you tried to order from them (and the other 25% that do ship would be those that don't check/care about the address discrepency). Unless you paid for Priority Overnight shipping (which delivers on Saturday) your order has only been delayed at most a day. Newegg is pretty good about upgrading shipping, so who knows they may even upgrade yours once you straighten out the problem. Either way, unless you were paying for Saturday delivery it's not really as big a deal as it at first seems (only 1 day has been lost, not 3).

I wasn't upset about losing a day of shipping time, thought I made that clear.

I don't order from companies that charge me BEFORE they check whether or not my product can even be shipped. There is no special case to this as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if it is all automated so that it can be blamed on machines...someone has to program the thing to charge, then check.

I placed my order on a Friday. I got it in on the following Tuesday. It works perfectly and is exactly what I wanted. None of this is my point. These are things that should ALWAYS happen...and they did. What should not have happened is getting charged when they flat out knew it couldn't be shipped.

Am I being overly picky? I don't think so. Would you come to me and hand me $150 for something I won't let you have? For whatever reason...and KNOWING that I ALREADY know I can't give it to you? I'd hope not. If it's no big deal then you're asking to get burned one day.

They have everything I was looking for in a reseller and came through in every way except this one thing. I could have bought this board (come to find out that weekend) over the counter at a computer fair in L.A. for the same price. I couldn't get it because they withdrew the money from my account and placed my order on hold. No way to cancel, noone to call and get an explanation. My email was never returned.

I do know about adding addresses to my credit card...I have done it several times and did it before I ordered on this one. None of this was my point, however. I don't like companies that snatch my cash and then put everything else on hold.

This was simply my experience...as well as my last. I hope yours is better.

I've ordered from newegg multiple time and always had goo experiances, I'm sorry jon thats not the sam for you.

Well for the record NOBODY ORDER FROM GOGOCITY i won't explain my experiances w/ them unless somone wnats me to.

I've had my good luck and bad luck with a lot of different companies. To me, it's how they resolve the problems that makes me want to return to them.

We use PayPal and eMartCart services. They charge at time of checkout (of course). HOWEVER, we disclose that certain items have distinct lead times.

Does this sound okay to you folks?

BTW we sell mostly custom manufactured parts on demand... DangerDen blocks and the like.

Newegg

I have had nothing but good service from Newegg. I live in WV and I can get something from them faster using Fedex 3day (they are in calif) than I can from newyork. I ordered a modem from them last Friday morning and by Friday evening it had been appvd and shipped to me. Will probably get it this Tuesday.

I for one agree with Jon. I think it's wrong of a company to charge your credit card before anything happens. And charging before even seeing if the object can ship is down right greedy. And in my opinion borders on dishonesty.

Take this scenario for example....

You have $200 on your credit card. You want to buy an new mother board. It costs $160. So you order it from a company that uses this practice. The next day they send you an email that the order is on back order for 3 months. Say you want to cancel your order with the first company and go to a second dealer that has the mobo in stock? Now you can't order it because the first company has choked your credit card because they already charged it. You have to wait until the original company you ordered it from clears your account. How long with that take?

See why this practice sucks?
Wouldn't that kinda **** you off?

And the reason that I feel this borders on dishonesty is because they don't disclose that anywhere on their page. If this is a practice that the company uses they should tell you up front. To hide that is dishonest.

What this is is the company you are ordering from saying to you "We are going to take your money first because we don't trust you!"

Why would you order from someone with this attitude? I won't.

Just this week I had a very good experience with Newegg. I ordered a new mobo and 1.4 t-bird. When the order arrived, the t-bird was missing. I e-mailed Newegg asking them the status of my order. Within an hour I received a response stating they tracked the missing shipment and that it would arrive later in the day. For me, prices were fair and reasonable and customer service was great.

Ya I got an eMail from em earlier saying my addresses didn't match.. I faxed a copy of my license with my signature and everything got straightened out in like 5 or so minutes.. just like you, they billed me first off.. but I don't mind.. as long as I get my stuff :) :)

I can see where anyone might be alarmed or upset when their CC charged and then later notified that shipping will not take place. I for one would be alarmed as well and would hesitate to hope on the phone. I have done it before and will do it again at any time I need to. Granted, I am only 23... but keeping my credit in excellent condition is important to me.

I normally check any resources I can to find out about a e-stores policy and what steps they take to protect themselves and the consumer. AVS is nice, but like it was stated above. Not perfect.

Check this out.

Awhile back I ordered a FREE catalog from TigerDirect.com. I wanted something to read and see whats out there. That was on a Thrusday, the next Monday a big box from TigerDirect shows up @5pm. Wondering what the hell this is I opened it to find 2 3Com home-networking hubs, an invoice for $112, and a catalog!! At first I thought someone got my CC info and ordered something only to forget to change the shipto address. After calling my CC and TigerDirect it became apparent that Tiger sent me someone else's order by mistake. How could this happen? Was it an unbelivable mistake on their part or their system? I am waiting for them to send me the necessary info to return the box. But can someone explain this to me? How the heck did I get this order?

newegg is getting worse. I ordered a Epox 8KHA and a 1.33 AHYJA, paid $24 for each part to be 2nd day air, well i orderd them Saturday morning and its Tuesday night and now parts - it sux, i WANT MY MONEY BACK, at least 1/2 the shipping charges

[OC]Jason,

Most companies do nothing on Sautrday's. Do you know how much your shipping would have cost to have the pack your order and have the carrier pick it up on Saturday? Either way, your order would have been sitting idle all day Sunday anyways.

If I order on the weekend, I do it Sunday afternoon or night. Your order should have been one of the first they had Monday morning to process, fill, and ship... guessing either Wed or Thur you will see it. Considering no out-of-stock items and that all CC processing went through.

Back