• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat pipes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

I have a friend who has recenltly become obsessed with the idea of using heat pipes to take the heat outside of the case. He would then use the top of the case as a giant heatsink. Has anbody used heatpipes in this way?

I have thought about it,but after doing some prelim research I discovered that the evap section of the heat pipe would have to be huge and only using something like lithium would yield significant results... but hey like i said my research was only prelim so hey if you find someting cool let me know for sure!!!
cheers:)

what liquid has an evap point around 50c that would give u temps like 60. but u could put 40 watt tecs ontop of each heatpipe to help the condensation!:p !

I am still somewhat skeptical that there is any real benifit for using heatpipes. He seems to think this would be a condensation free way to supercool- but it seems to me like the temps would just equalize and cause condensation anyway. Also, I wouldnt know what the best solutiion for the joining of the cpu and heatpipes.

im werkin on a heatpipe, they seem like an awesome cooling solution! that was my or origional idea to get a large extruded heatsink(ebay had them) and mount my condensor on that and use that... but i got a condensor from an a/c

getting the heat pipes is not an issue- I know someone who works in the oil drilling industry (which use them to cool procs on drilling equpment) that can buy made to order heat pipes for a buck a foot.

Back