• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Sink Roundup @ OcUK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibbo205

Registered
Test System
- AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz AXIA @ 1466Mhz set at 1.85v in the bios, the actual reported voltage was 1.94v.
- ABIT KT7A Motherboard (Thermal probe touching back of CPU. All BIOS settings at max performance)
- 256Mb Crucial PC133 SDRAM
- Hercules Geforce 2 MX
All coolers were tested twice, at seperate times to verify results.

Testing Procedure
--------------------
Both heat sink and CPU were surgicaly cleaned with isopropanol alcohol each time before use. Standard thermal compound was used and re-applied each time. The machine was booted and we entered the BIOS setup and went into the PC health section, this puts the CPU under normal load conditions (same as SETI) approx 100% load. The system was then left for 15 minutes, then load and system temperatures were taken down from the PC health section in the bios. The room the test was conducted in was kept at the same temperature throughout the testing period. The room was muggy and warm, which is why the temperatures were highish.
Using this testing method we were able to obtain realistic underload temperatures, that users would get running SETI or other similar intensive applications. Running Sisoft Sandra 2001 burn in or stability test on CPU warming, it would add approx 2c-3c to the underload temperatures of what we got from the bios reading. So you could add approx 2c to the results of each heat sink for extreme under load results.
The heat sinks that were used with STD fans (4500rpm), if you added the YS-Tech 26cfm fan, you could probably drop the temps by a further 1c-2c.

The Results:
[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1694499&a=13011339&p=49144442[/URL]"]

Conclusion
-----------------------------
All the heat sinks tested are exceptional units and do their job. However the newcomer, the Thermalright SK6, is a clear winner in both fan configurations, I would expect this unit to perform on par with a swiftech MC462a unit, and also has a lot of advantages too over it, mainly been half the price. ;) The Thermalright when used with a Delta 60mm fan has a c/w of 0.18, and the Swiftech with an 80mm Delta has a 0.16 c/w value. The Taisol, ThermoEngine and Hedgehog all fight for second when used with Delta fans, but due to it's ever so slightly better performance and upgradability with different fan configurations, the Taisol CGK760092 wins a well deserved second place. The ThermoEngine is still a great performer and still offers top notch performance, but the Thermalright and Taisol have it on performance, ease of use and value.
The Globalwin coolers were throwing some really odd results out. We re-tested, and even got other ones out of stock, to make sure there was not a fault, but still the very odd results. The FOP38 old classic shows that it is a very good performer. Whereas the two new comers were a little dissapointing.

I must mention however that the all copper coolers also do give better overclocks, as they are transfering the heat from the CPU core to the heat sink faster than a aluminium cooler. The Thermalright gained me (Gibbo) an extra 20Mhz-30Mhz stable over the Super ThermoEngine. He has had a early production sample for over a month now, and has been so eager to share it's cooling/overclocking performance with you all.

I am proud to say the new king is the OcUK SUPER THERMALRIGHT SK6 COPPER Cooler!
[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1694499&a=13011339&p=49145263[/URL]"]
Not only do you get lower temperatures, it also gives far superior overclocks too, I am gonna be sticking with mine!

You can purchase an OcUK Super ThermalRight SK6 here:-
Purchase an OcUK Super ThermalRight SK6

Disclaimer
These test were conducted profesionally by experts under controlled conditions. Your own result my differ.

Gibbo

Just goes to show you how fast all this stuff goes. You buy a heatsink, and a week later, there's something out there thats, stronger, cooler, cooler looking. MAN!

Back