• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"heatbox"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penance

Well I dont know what to call it, and I'm sure someone else has thought of it before me, but i was trying to come up with some novel ways to cool water down even further.

I'm not sure how well this would work by itself, but who knows.
heatbox2.jpg

anyway, there would be an 80w peltier between the 2 heatsinks, and the box would of course be watertight. Not sure if this would be able to replace a radiator (doubt it).

Originally I had thought to put it after the bong part of a bong cooler, just to get the water super cold. Ah well, idle time...idle thoughts. What do you guys think?

The reason it wouldnt work is part of the laws of thermodynamics.

Since you arent cooling the Hot side of the peltier enough the cold side doesent get cold. in order for something to get coled some energy has to be expelled and thats where it goes.. the hot side of the plate. Even with the type things like the subzero thermaltake thing it is shown to provide poor perormance since the hot side isnt cooled enough.

It would work great if you added anoher water cooling system on top of that peliter to cool it down but then you might as well just put the peltier on your cpu.

Hope you didnt take any of this the wrong way just some constructive criticisim.

i have thought if that... you might not neccissarily need more watercooling to to cool it with a few low wattage pelts you could cool them with just HS and maybe 1 120mm fan blowing past them... my idea would be with more pelts all around it almost and more HS etc, it would be a lot more expensive...

Hrmm, i guess you're right. I'd of course have a fan on the exposed heatsink...but yeah...I'd have to cool 80 watts from the pelt right off the bat, and then take into consideration any heat I wanted to transfer from the water.

I'm near 80watts on my CPU right now with a heatsink and fan and I'm running 105F temps...so by extension, cooling an 80watt pelt with a HSF wouldn't do much for the water underneath. Ah well, back to the drawing board!

Actually check the power output on the pelt. You have to cool a lot more than just 80w on an 80w peltier. You get 80w of cooling, and at 12v usually another 10-25w of wasted heat.

Aren't pelts great? I do own one, though. :)

interesting setup... im just imagining that setup with 2 slk-800's at the mo.... hmmmmm

If you add such a peltier box to an existing watercooling loop (incl. radiator), it may be possible to achieve a modest temperature drop- if the peltier used isn't too strong for the heatsink on top, like others hinted at. Maybe you could mount the box on the top of a case, so that its heatsink is cooled with ambient room air. In any case, you'll want to maximize the heatsink's properties; a big, quality copper one would be desired.

There are commercially available designs like this. It's hard
to get right and they all cost way too much. If you just
slap something together there's a good chance you will
be disappointed. :(

To add on to the first responce...

The water flow simply raises the tempature of the cold side to the allready over worked hot side. Very little if any cooling is achieved...

Not only that there are more effectient ways of chilling the water than by using more hsf's on pelts... If you're going to use pelts, they go directly where you want to cool...

I wish people would do some f'ing research as this comes up every other week...

Have you tried running simulations on your design? From the address of you webpage I see you go to RIT (I do too), I'm sure if there has to some kind of simulation software you can use in one of the labs, especially if your a mech-e major.

No, I havn't checked out the EE labs. This was just something I came up with late one night when I didn't have anything better to do.

Toysrme, you didn't have to respond or continue reading the thread if you didn't want to so cool out bro.

Toysrme said:
To add on to the first responce...

The water flow simply raises the tempature of the cold side to the allready over worked hot side. Very little if any cooling is achieved...

Not only that there are more effectient ways of chilling the water than by using more hsf's on pelts... If you're going to use pelts, they go directly where you want to cool...

I wish people would do some f'ing research as this comes up every other week...

-not if the hot side is cooled sufficiently... a small peltier does not need watercooling AFAIK.

-not if you have only weak peltiers and can't use those directly on the cpu... as I understand it.

I think the general idea only works when a large investment has been put in, and by the time that happens it is easier to get phase change.

FIZZ3 said:

-not if the hot side is cooled sufficiently... a small peltier does not need watercooling AFAIK.

-not if you have only weak peltiers and can't use those directly on the cpu... as I understand it.

i agree... this would work well for sub ambient temps (but still not needing insulation if you dont want to do that) and allow for, possbily, a very quite and compact setup:D

besides if everyone did research away from here what would this forum be, true people should do research on their own but you can find most of hte knowlege here by just using google.

Back