• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatercore shrod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

If you don't have sheetmetal, you can use cardboard too. :)

Also, I believe it's a shroud, not shrod. :)

mfpmax

I just made mine...based somewhat off of that guide.
buildshroud1.jpg

shrouddone1.jpg

grim

hey nice shroud. so you are using those 2 tabs to secure the shroud instead of long bolts through the core? same thing i did.

post-1-1032061962.jpg

and pop rivets to hold it together too. good choice good choice:)

mfpmax

grim said:
hey nice shroud. so you are using those 2 tabs to secure the shroud instead of long bolts through the core? same thing i did.

post-1-1032061962.jpg

and pop rivets to hold it together too. good choice good choice:)

Yeah, I couldn't wait for your guide so I just went ahead and built it. The rivets I planned to use cause thats the only way besides soldering and welding I could think of....but the tabs are inspired by you.

The tabs may not work on my setup because I intended to secure it to the case, but the heatercore is possibly too wide...i'll figure out something.

grim

well thank you for choosing to use my design. yea i still dont have an article but i havent had the time (school). hopefully i will make one sometime and more people can use my design.

mfpmax

grim said:
well thank you for choosing to use my design. yea i still dont have an article but i havent had the time (school). hopefully i will make one sometime and more people can use my design.

BTW, how'd you bend the metal? That was the main thing I was after since I don't have access to a sheet metal brake anymore....or don't know where the one we have is:confused:

grim

well i had a practice shroud before i made those because my orginal design was going to use solder to hold it together and i hadnt thought of the tab design yet. i bent it into shape and it wouldnt solder so i changed the design to use rivets and at the same time i realized i could use tabs to hold it on. my first try looked alot worse than yours. also i didnt get perfect bends on the final shrouds, the black sraypaint covers the screw ups up a little

mfpmax

Yeah, I tried to paint mine...then it started spazzing out...so I cleaned it off...

Wanted to clear coat it first because it looked so pretty...now I'm gonna have nice finger prints all over it.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Best way to make bending easy. Is to take a dremal and cut off wheel and go across the lines where you wish to bend it. Thats what I did and it was really easy.

MajinSSJVegetto

How do you pop rivet things? I have no clue. Do you need special tools?

Would pop rivet go through .6mm steel case panels if I wanted to attach a shroud to my case?

mfpmax

Klownin79 said:
Best way to make bending easy. Is to take a dremal and cut off wheel and go across the lines where you wish to bend it. Thats what I did and it was really easy.

Not when you have a large die grinder you don't :)

I had it in my hand, looked at what I needed to do...and said "Nope, not gonna happen". I'd end up cutting the metal since my dad took our dremel.

MajinSSJVegetto said:
How do you pop rivet things? I have no clue. Do you need special tools?

Would pop rivet go through .6mm steel case panels if I wanted to attach a shroud to my case?

Yeah, you get a Pop Rivet tool, its like a Squeez handle tool thats got a few different tips on it for different size rivets. Very useful when modifying Antec/Chieftec cases...stupid riveted bottoms and tops.

grim

what you do is make a hole for the pop rivet first. then you take a pop rivet and put it on the pop riveter*you can buy them for like $10, its a hndheld tool that you squeeze.). then put the tip of the rivet thru the hole, squeeze the popriveter until you hear a snap.

mfpmax

Mine is proably thicker than grims by a few mm, some random boxed sheet of alluminum I found laying around in my yard I kept cause I was gonna make a shroud two years ago for my first watercooler.