• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatercore shrod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

Member
Joined
May 16, 2002
Location
Colorado
If you don't have sheetmetal, you can use cardboard too. :)

Also, I believe it's a shroud, not shrod. :)
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
I just made mine...based somewhat off of that guide.
buildshroud1.jpg

shrouddone1.jpg
 

grim

Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Location
boston, ma
hey nice shroud. so you are using those 2 tabs to secure the shroud instead of long bolts through the core? same thing i did.

post-1-1032061962.jpg


and pop rivets to hold it together too. good choice good choice:)
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
grim said:
hey nice shroud. so you are using those 2 tabs to secure the shroud instead of long bolts through the core? same thing i did.

post-1-1032061962.jpg


and pop rivets to hold it together too. good choice good choice:)

Yeah, I couldn't wait for your guide so I just went ahead and built it. The rivets I planned to use cause thats the only way besides soldering and welding I could think of....but the tabs are inspired by you.

The tabs may not work on my setup because I intended to secure it to the case, but the heatercore is possibly too wide...i'll figure out something.
 

grim

Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Location
boston, ma
well thank you for choosing to use my design. yea i still dont have an article but i havent had the time (school). hopefully i will make one sometime and more people can use my design.
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
grim said:
well thank you for choosing to use my design. yea i still dont have an article but i havent had the time (school). hopefully i will make one sometime and more people can use my design.

BTW, how'd you bend the metal? That was the main thing I was after since I don't have access to a sheet metal brake anymore....or don't know where the one we have is:confused:
 

grim

Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Location
boston, ma
well i had a practice shroud before i made those because my orginal design was going to use solder to hold it together and i hadnt thought of the tab design yet. i bent it into shape and it wouldnt solder so i changed the design to use rivets and at the same time i realized i could use tabs to hold it on. my first try looked alot worse than yours. also i didnt get perfect bends on the final shrouds, the black sraypaint covers the screw ups up a little
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
Yeah, I tried to paint mine...then it started spazzing out...so I cleaned it off...

Wanted to clear coat it first because it looked so pretty...now I'm gonna have nice finger prints all over it.
 

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Joined
Dec 20, 2000
Location
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Best way to make bending easy. Is to take a dremal and cut off wheel and go across the lines where you wish to bend it. Thats what I did and it was really easy.
 

MajinSSJVegetto

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2002
Location
Coppell, Texas
How do you pop rivet things? I have no clue. Do you need special tools?

Would pop rivet go through .6mm steel case panels if I wanted to attach a shroud to my case?
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
Klownin79 said:
Best way to make bending easy. Is to take a dremal and cut off wheel and go across the lines where you wish to bend it. Thats what I did and it was really easy.

Not when you have a large die grinder you don't :)

I had it in my hand, looked at what I needed to do...and said "Nope, not gonna happen". I'd end up cutting the metal since my dad took our dremel.

MajinSSJVegetto said:
How do you pop rivet things? I have no clue. Do you need special tools?

Would pop rivet go through .6mm steel case panels if I wanted to attach a shroud to my case?

Yeah, you get a Pop Rivet tool, its like a Squeez handle tool thats got a few different tips on it for different size rivets. Very useful when modifying Antec/Chieftec cases...stupid riveted bottoms and tops.
 

grim

Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Location
boston, ma
what you do is make a hole for the pop rivet first. then you take a pop rivet and put it on the pop riveter*you can buy them for like $10, its a hndheld tool that you squeeze.). then put the tip of the rivet thru the hole, squeeze the popriveter until you hear a snap.
 

mfpmax

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
Rockledge,FL
Mine is proably thicker than grims by a few mm, some random boxed sheet of alluminum I found laying around in my yard I kept cause I was gonna make a shroud two years ago for my first watercooler.