• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink movements after applying thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaywalker

After I applied the thermal paste I locked the heatsink onto the cpu. However the pc is brand new and I had to do all the wiring, etc. so the heat sink got a fair bit of small movements from my hand hitting it when i was attaching cables around it on the motherboard. The heatsink was tightened to the back plate by the screws but it still seemed it was tilting a bit. Will that create air bubbles or some movement is ok? Do you guys think I should reapply the thermal paste?

trents

Can you give us more info about your motherboard, heatsink and your case? It's normal for a heavy heatsink, especially the tower kind, to cause the motherboard to flex a little in a tower case. This gives the impression that the heatsink may be separating from the cpu face but it isn't actually happening. What are your cpu/core temps like? If the heatsink is not seating properly, this will be reflected in abnormally high temps.

Incidental contact with the heatsink by your hand as you are manipulating wires, etc. should not cause the heatsink to disengage from the cpu face. The biggest danger there is cutting your hand on the heatsink fins. Shifting and separation might be a problem with the pushpin style heatsinks but not with the kind that are screwed to a backplate.

Conumdrum

Tilting is bad, a bit of side to side wiggle is fine.

Is the HS the snap in pins? If so, please remove the mobo and carefully inspect all 4 pins to make sure they are all 4 snapped in.

I never ever put a pin HS in a mobo without inspecting the pins on the bottom first. It saved me countless hours.

If the HS has screws and ya did it right, you should be fine.

OP
K

kaywalker

it's a mugen 2, on a gigabyte ex-58 ud3r. I guess I'll run the cpu and see what temps I get.