• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatspreaders, Voltage, and mT -5BC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would agree, based on what "testers" are reporting, that once you reach the 2.9v or so range, you need to start considering mounting a fan to blow over them. This is so simple to do that it should be a non-issue for most people. I think with a fan, you don't need the heatspreaders, but that is jus my opinion. If you have a set of spreaders not being used and you want to slap them on, fine, but I wouldn't go out and buy some. Just be sure to use a good TIM during installation, or you're wasting your time.

Yeah, I already have a fan blowing over these. I think heatspreaders might help a little, since the fan doesn't evenly cover all the modules. The heatspreader would let the modules farther away from the fan receive more even cooling.

I would think that a fan mounted in such a fashion as to blow fresh cool air over the length of the ram would provide adequate cooling, but propertly installed heatspreaders would certainly provide additonal cooling "insurance". I think it just comes back to individual preferences here and the point most everyone agrees on is that with increased voltage, you need to provide supplemental cooling, however you see fit to do it.

Back