• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello computer experts, My first build =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arctic-ice-cool

Hello. This seems a very nice place to talk-tech and learn plenty of the latest tricks and tips in getting the most out of your system.
For the first time I am actually building a relatively decent PC, I am on a very tight budget of 400GBP, but I do want as much spec for my budget, as possible.

I was wondering what you thought to my proposed system:

Processor
AMD PHENOM II X2 550 3.1GHZ BLACK SKT AM3 L2/3 8MB 85W PIB
£65.68

Motherboard
Asus M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X ATX SND+GLN+1394 HT5200 DDR3 IN
£84.75

Memory
Kingston 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 9-9-9-27 DIMM KIT OF 2
£79.90

Graphics
PowerColor HD 5670 PCIE 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E
£88.13

Power Supply
12v Rail 20+4pin 2x SATA
£27.57

PC Case
Black Mid Tower ATX Case with 12cm Blue LED Fan and LCD Display
£20.43

Hard Drive
Maxtor 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM
£32.19

DVD-ROM
Sony DVD+-R/RW/DL AD-5240S-0B BLACK +24X8X12X -24X6X12X BULK SATA IN
£14.50

Total: £422 (Rounded to the pound perfectly lol)

Thank you in advance for any advice on what you think, I do plan on unlocking the two hidden cores in the Phenom II, using that motherboard, therefore giving me a Quad core Phenom II, working almost as good as the actualy Quad core Phenom II processor, but for half the price.

Thanks again :salute:

Marshmallow64

Makr sure you have a brand name PSU, its the most important part.

Hmm I didnt know maxtor still made drives, I thought they were bought out by seagate. I recommend going western digital black for the harddrive. 640 gb should be good for now.

Everything else looks good.

OP
A

arctic-ice-cool

Makr sure you have a brand name PSU, its the most important part.

Hmm I didnt know maxtor still made drives, I thought they were bought out by seagate. I recommend going western digital black for the harddrive. 640 gb should be good for now.

Everything else looks good.
Thank you for your post. I chose that HDD because of the Sata II support, and 16Mb Cache.

Why? What is good about western digital hard drives over the maxtor?

Thanks again.

jgv115

If you are going for speed then the Samsung F3 is probably the best.

The WD Caviar Blacks aren't far behind and they're really really reliable.

The Seagate 7200.12s are fast but they break so easily that no one buys them anymore.

I have some recommendations:

The Corsair 650TX: http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B94888
It may be a little more expensive but it's worth every penny.

The WD Caviar Black 640gb: http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B144433
Solid HDD

King107s

If you are going for speed then the Samsung F3 is probably the best.

The WD Caviar Blacks aren't far behind and they're really really reliable.

The Seagate 7200.12s are fast but they break so easily that no one buys them anymore.

I have some recommendations:

The Corsair 650TX: http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B94888
It may be a little more expensive but it's worth every penny.

The WD Caviar Black 640gb: http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B144433
Solid HDD

I have a 7200.12 and its been great! No problems with file coruption, heat or noise.

BTW I think for your budget a 775 build would be a better bang for your buck although most people here will start crying about future upgrades but for 400 pounds theres not a lot you can do with the newer stuff like trichannel RAM and i7 cores etc.. A lot of people spend that much on their video card or cpu alone.

psionic98

i would disagree with king107 there.. theres no reason to use a socket that will be losing support as the new sockets come out.. stick with the AM3 since that is their new socket for now