• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hello Im new but I have been wondering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcraw07

Okay, I have been fighting my heating issue since the summer time. I will give my current PC specs.

Processor: Q9300 Inter Core 2 Quad
Video Card: Geforce 9800 GTX+
Ram: 8GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 750 GB
------------------------------------
Okay My Temps have jumped from 45c IDLE to 64c Playing I seen them at 66c, that's why I am preparing now. I tried in my previous attempts to install a PCI fan, 6 fans and a Zalman CNPS 9500 heat sink and didn't do much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So now what I did what transfer everything to a different case and a few fans.
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Fans x5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999029

So now what I want to do is have

1 120mm fan on the back,
2 120mm on the side,
1 80 mm on the other side where the motherboard is,
1 120mm in the front
2 120mm on top
1 Ghetto rigged 120mm fan in DVD expansion bay
1 120mm on bottom of exhaust for even more air.

5 high performance 120mm fans and 3 standard and 1 high performance 80mm fan.

Interesting enough right now (probably cause its cold right now I see Idling as the follows and full load *Playing COD 4 MW2 w/ music playing)

Core 0 40 min 44 max
Core 1 40 min 40 max
Core 2 23 min 34 max
Core 3 25 min 37 max

Now this looks great because it is winter but the top two cores were reaching 62-66c and bottom 2 maybe 58-60c, I changed my set up so lets hope.

on a side not I wonder when I install the 80MM fan and 5 120mm fan will it make the CPU even colder?

Welcome!

The extra fans "may" cool you off some, but if you ambient air temp is high, then you need to do something else.

Play with you case fans, see what works for you. I've got the same case and my fans are as follows.
1-rear
1-side (low, so it blows across vid card (stock))
1 -80mm stock front.
1-120mm ghetto rigged on the front. this is a low speed (1000 rpm) iirc
I tried more fans, but all it did was get noisy. No real noticeable benefit cooling wise.

I believe these are the case fans I purchased. http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SM-12-Medium-Speed-pr-3770.html

Currently I just have one of those on the rear. They were cheap enough when I got them that I just grabbed a 1/2 dozen.

Either way.. your temps don't look high enough to worry about them..most chips can hit the mid to high 80s and still be within their thermal limits. Adding fans, as long as you can tolerate the sound, will always be useful as long as they are planned well.. front/sides push air in, top/back pull air out.

as for your question, it may or may not make the cpu "colder", it will always depend on ambients outside the case.. if its say 20c(68F) outside the case now, but in teh summer that temp is at or above 30c(around 85F) your comp is going to run hotter since the air your blowing across your HOT heatsink is warm to begin with.

Your temps are not high to begin with really. General consensus is to keep that thing around 72C and you havent even hit that yet.

As far as your fan idea, well, I cant make heads or tails of the post personally, but what I would suggest is this:

Front/Sides = intake
Top/Rear = exhaust

Have more exhaust than intake.

I also dont think you can put a fan on the back side of the motherboard on that case. Even if you can, its useless, dont bother.

Get a better HS/F. That zalman is made for quiet not performance. Xigmatek s1283 with bolt through kit, or Sunbeam Core contact freezer are best bang for the buck.

thanks for all the advice, yea this is what I did.

Top Has 2 120mm fans (exhaust)
The front has 2 120 mm Fans (intake)
The side has 2 120 mm fans (intake)
The back has 1 120mm Fan, 1 PCI slot fan, video card has built in fan (exhaust)
bottom of case has 1 120mm fan (intake)

Planning on putting a 80mm fan on the other side with the mobo cause that may help I don't know, I already ordered it so o well!

most likely the 80mm won't do much but make noise.. any changes in temp would probably not be noticeable

make sure to put some filters on the bottom of case/side fans if you can.. no need to blow excess dust into the system since it acts as a thermal insulator and will eventually degrade your cooling overall

yea the case came with one built in , love my case. tool less FTW

Fans helped a bit.
--------MIN--IDLE--MAX
Core0--40c---40c--44c
Core1--40c---40c--40c
Core2--19c---24c--35c
Core3--21c---25c--38c

(MAX) playing COD4 MW2
(Min) Boot up
(IDLE) Well Doh IDLE

-----------------------------------------
So it has gotten colder. The real test will be in the summer time.

Could you run what we kinda use as a standardized test?

Prime 95 small ffts for 30 min. Post a screenshot of Realtemp and run the sensor test first. A game really doesn't tell us much.

Also your room temps before and after the test is run.

After 10 min of prime 95 Small Ftt w/e, neat tool.

core0 was jumped from 46c-49c
core1 was jumped from 41c-43c
core2 was jumped from 38c-40c
core3 was jumped from 42c-44c
Untitled-2.png

Something is wrong on your mount. You shouldn't have that temp swing between 4 cores, maybe 9C max. I'm pretty sure you didn't have all 4 cores under load. The Prime 95 web page tells you how to make sure, you should have 4 worker threads going at once.

And umm nothing on your room temp, it matters.

room was about 65 Degrees, And yes I made sure all four cores were going, its not hard just use either task manager to make sure or look at your display on your G15.

Back