• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! 256MB RAM only shows 128MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wommalong

Hey all

I just got some new SD RAM a single PC-133 256MB stick of ram... the problem is that it only shows half of that (128MB) i have been backwards and forwards with the ram. I have tried 128MB and it shows 64MB, tried 512MB and it once again only shows 256. It seems that it only shows of the amount:mad:

What can i do?

JaY_III

Senior of BX
What motherboard?
and are they stciks you tested single sided or double sided?
High density????

jmsandrsn

jay said:
What motherboard?
and are they stciks you tested single sided or double sided?
High density????

I think Jay may be on to something. You might be dealing with high density modules that your board may not support.

For instance, I have some single sided high density 256mb modules that only show up as 128mb on a BX board. This module has 8 chips so each chip ends up being 32mb. If you do the math on the sticks you're trying and it works out to be 32mb on each module then your board probably doesn't support high density modules. If it ends up being 16 mb on each memory chip then all bets are off and I'm not sure what the problem is.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
well your board should be able to read 512MB per DIMM socket...
even if it was high density it should still be able to read that stick...
how many Chips are on that stick of RAM? 4, 8 or 16?
is the RAM ECC????

If you dont have the latest BIOS verson, try an update....
have you tried other DIMM sockets? the one you are trying may be damaged....
Also, does the board read both Memory Banks?
0 and 1 for DIMM Socket 1
2 and 3 for DIMM Socket 2
4 and 5 for DIMM Socket 3

check for any leaking CAP on your board... Hopefully it isnt damaged