• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help 550BE, X4 620 Propus, or X2 250 Regor for gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Guys what chip should i get for gaming and music only. 550BE, X4 620 Propus, or X2 250 Regor?

No over clocking will be taking place. Just a nice rig to push a good video card.

Building a balanced rig -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc,2477.html

This will show you the comparative cpu/gpu performance. What I took from this was that AMDs current crop of processors are faster than the current crop of GPUs need them to be to avoid a bottleneck.

Games (requires 100% resource utilization of a modern pc) and music (needs the guts of an ipod shuffle), are polar opposites as far as requirements go.

Since games and playing music don't require or really benefit from more than 2 cores at this point, a quad will give you little over a dual core. Since playing games and music at the same time is hardly intensive multitasking, a quad will give you nothing there either. Since a L3 cache is worth 200mhz of performance, generally, and mhz for gaming is king, then you should go with the AMD 550, imo. Plus it has a ~75% chance to unlock and OC to a 3.4 quad core... an option you might want later.

If you buy a ddr2 board that allows crossfire as an option you plan to use later., then down the road realize you need to but lack the ability to upgrade your ram because ddr2 is gone, or nvidia comes out with a face pwning 99ghz 4d gpu fridge magnet for $99 or something..., you will not be happy. When you realize the crossfire on that board you suggested is limited to dual 8x, and that anything beyond two 5770s will saturate the bandwidth of the bus and place a hard cap your performance, you will not be happy. You'll dump your ram, and your mb, and be out $220 worth of stuff.

If you buy a $70 non crossfire board you plan to upgrade later if you need to, then you will need to dump your MB, and be out $70 worth of stuff... while getting all the relevant port, socket, and whatever else upgrades on a board that probably allows for crossfire and SLI, with a pci bus wide enough for your future GPU upgrade.

You said you didn't want to touch the config for three years, and won't ever overclock, but just having the options of an easy 1 minute core unlock to a 3.1ghz quad core, or having an easy upgrade path are things you will probably want in the future.

Last edited:
Building a balanced rig -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc,2477.html

This will show you the comparative cpu/gpu performance. What I took from this was that AMDs current crop of processors are faster than the current crop of GPUs need them to be to avoid a bottleneck.

Games (requires 100% resource utilization of a modern pc) and music (needs the guts of an ipod shuffle), are polar opposites as far as requirements go.

Since games and playing music don't require or really benefit from more than 2 cores at this point, a quad will give you little over a dual core. Since playing games and music at the same time is hardly intensive multitasking, a quad will give you nothing there either. Since a L3 cache is worth 200mhz of performance, generally, and mhz for gaming is king, then you should go with the AMD 550, imo. Plus it has a ~75% chance to unlock and OC to a 3.4 quad core... an option you might want later.

If you buy a ddr2 board that allows crossfire as an option you plan to use later., then down the road realize you need to but lack the ability to upgrade your ram because ddr2 is gone, or nvidia comes out with a face pwning 99ghz 4d gpu fridge magnet for $99 or something..., you will not be happy. When you realize the crossfire on that board you suggested is limited to dual 8x, and that anything beyond two 5770s will saturate the bandwidth of the bus and place a hard cap your performance, you will not be happy. You'll dump your ram, and your mb, and be out $220 worth of stuff.

If you buy a $70 non crossfire board you plan to upgrade later if you need to, then you will need to dump your MB, and be out $70 worth of stuff... while getting all the relevant port, socket, and whatever else upgrades on a board that probably allows for crossfire and SLI, with a pci bus wide enough for your future GPU upgrade.

You said you didn't want to touch the config for three years, and won't ever overclock, but just having the options of an easy 1 minute core unlock to a 3.1ghz quad core, or having an easy upgrade path are things you will probably want in the future.

Welcome:) The L3 is dependent on many factors and may or may not be of benefit. As to the 200 MHz, take a look at this and you will see how dependent some things are on L3 and others are not affected at all.

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phenom-ii-athlon-ii-performance-comparison/

I would suggest the 550BE because of the OC'ing potential (com' on, you know you want to!) and it's based on the C2 revision Deneb (aka PhenomII) processors. It has a high frequency for only $100 plus lots of L3 cache (hardly any duals have L3 cache.) Then again... a 720BE for only $20 more gives you another guaranteed core for extra multi-tasking. I would never expect any processor such as the 550BE to have unlockable and stable cores, so don't count on it (this is regardless of the high success rate, you could always get a dud). As far as the motherboards go, that biostar looks fine. Plus, the 8x speed of crossfire wont bottleneck you unless you decide to go with super high performance GPU's a few years from now; and you have $500 to spend on a single GPU then you'd be getting a $200 motherboard. I'd go with the Asus EVO (the $119 one) and either a 550BE or 720BE.

LOL thanks dooms but if any over clocking is going to happen its going to be very small. the rig is not for me. come on look at my sig

oh and where u seeing the 720 for 120 unless i miss read?

LOL thanks dooms but if any over clocking is going to happen its going to be very small. the rig is not for me. come on look at my sig

oh and where u seeing the 720 for 120 unless i miss read?

Well I would still go with the 550BE =)

and regarding the $120 720BE... well QI already put the link. It's OEM so I don't think it comes with a cooler... but the Black Edition coolers suck for OC'ing anyways (because you will OC!) Although the you could get similar performance with the 245 Regor and save like what... $35?

If you really plan on not OC'ing then the Propus is the best bet since quads are beginning to be taken advantage of finally with so many apps being multi-threaded now (I program, so I would know =D)

Well since you do some gaming and really dont need a Quad core, you could save yourself some money and go for an Athlon II X2. The 240 is 2.8ghz, 245 is 2.9ghz and the 250 is 3.0 ghz. At Newegg they range from $60 to $76 and have a TDP of 65w. I recently read couple of reviews that compared gaming performance with Athlon II dual cores, Phenom II duals and tripples and quads. It was really interesting to see that for just general computing like web surfing, IMing, listening to music, etc and gaming that a dual core is still a real good chip and more depends on the vid card for the latter. You have pretty stout vid card right now, so if you are just going to game, i would suggest the Athlon II 250. You might splurge and nab a P2 550 (80w TDP), or even get the Athon II X4, but for gaming clock speed is what matters. Read these reviews and have a look for yourself. Note that the x3 720 ends up lower in most gaming comparisons due to its slower default clock speed. The AII X4 620 would be even slower since it only runs at 2.6ghz.

With the prices that are out there, the Athlon II X2 series are a heck of a deal and great gaming chips.

Review 1 Athlon II vs Phenom II

Review 2 Athlon II X2 vs PII X2 vs P2 X3 vs Q9550

Good info comparing across a suite of tests including gaming

For gaming, always get the beefiest vidcard you can get as that makes the most difference. The diff between cpu's and performance in games depends on the game, but more than likely they will not be to terribly far off in fps as shown by those links. Dont skimp on the mobo since it is the heart of your system. I would rather have a slower chip than a cheapy mobo any day. The Asus 785g Evo mobo's are really nice and at a good price point as well.

With the exception of GTA4, most games are just fine on a dual core, and hence the 550 or 250 would be the way to go.
I worked with a 245 a couple weeks ago and was very impressed, excellent performance and it OC'd to 3.6ghz without even thinking about breaking a sweat, on a mobo that has lousy OC options. On the stock cooler, with ~40*c temps.

I didn't have a problem with it - I think it's a good choice as long as you've got a great video card and not running bleeding edge games. :)

BTW - Whois your avatar ...?

Back