• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help 82 Celcius!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

Is this an accurate reading?

Everything else is showing low around 30-40.

What portion/device is that thats so hot? My Modern Warefare started crashing randomly for no reason and this is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks!

temp.jpg

OP
T

TechJunky

Foxconn Motherboard.
P35/G33/G31 Chipset
Southbridge ICH9R
LPCIO ITE IT8718

OP
T

TechJunky

It only has a heat sink. I pulled the heatsink, replaced the goop with Arctic Silver2, booted and im down 1 whole degree celcius. The chip looked bad. Much like an old AMD chip that had been clocked too much and started to get black and stuff.

Should I find a small fan and mount it on top of the heatsink and see if that helps?

Possibly that temp is wrong?

Bobnova

Odds are that's the northbridge, and it's hotter then it wants to be.
Aim a fan at it and see what the temp does.

OP
T

TechJunky

Hmm, do you really think its that hot? I felt it with my hand... It doesnt feel anything over 60 degrees on the heatsink...

There is a chip right by the proc, im assuming is the northbridge, and a small heatsink on the southbridge. The south feels cold to the touch, the north feels luke warm.

OP
T

TechJunky

Also, any software where I can set my internal fans to a certian rpm/speed?

OP
T

TechJunky

Ok, looks like my mb is locked so I cant adjust the fan speed. I tried SpeedFan and no mojo.

It must be a fake reading or something... I have a 3krpm fan blowing across the Northbridge heat sink and still no dice. Constant 82C. Anyone else here running a Dell 530 that can run HWMonitor and let me know what their's is at?

OP
T

TechJunky

Well, I undid my tape mod and I havent had the weird reboot problem. It seemed the Core Voltage would get too high under load. It throttles normally at 2.4ghz from 1.13 when in the speedstepping mode to 1.24 under full load.

So I am just going to keep it at stock until I purchase a new i7.