• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a girl out with my new build that's crashing!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If she does decide to go newer then something on the Z97 platform might be a good choice as it will allow her to reuse the RAM as well. With the increased RAM prices right now have to replace the RAM as well as the MOBO/CPU may be more than if financially possible.

Only thing I see left is breadboard the build to rule out any case/mobo conflict issues. And check VRM temps. The log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS should have more detailed info. Open in Notepad and scroll to the bottom, working your way back up. If you get an Access Denied open Properties>Security>Owner and take ownership of the file, including inheritable Permissions. Close dialog boxes and window. Reopen Window and do it again, only change Permissions and Effective Permissions this time, granting full control of the file to yourself. Then close it all and reopen the folder. You should then be able to open it with Notepad.exe. Windows 7 can be funky that way.

I don't see a 50c core temperature effecting stock clocks. It is possible the ram at 1866 is unstable.

The OP, right off the bat, is asking for alot. They've already made several mistakes:

1) Case- Tho very nice, has really poor to no airflow. Not designed for this type of setup: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Luxa2_LM200/4.html
2) RX580 - We all know it's a heater. Heat being dumped right back into the case
3) H50 - Not enough cooling for the 920 heater chip.

No airflow + a heater of a graphics card + a weak AIO cooler = unstable system.

All those funds spent on the new parts for a relic of a platform would have been better spent on a newer/modern platform along with a better suited case for the cooling job needed.

I can keep going on adding to the list of mistakes/fails.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea "all these funds" were spent on a relic. There has really been no money spent since the initial build. I built this PC years ago. The only upgrade/"purchase" was the RX 580. Granted, it produces a lot of heat, but as I stated, it isn't what I plan to go with long term. With the availability of graphics cards these days, it is what was available to test whether the video card was causing the issues. The build is indeed aging, and I became tired of waiting for a 1070/1080 TI at a reasonable price. The RX 580 was purchased new, but from an acquaintance. I never planned to keep it. Unless I unexpectedly fell in love with it, it was always planned to be sold back at full price-minus-I-buy-dinner to my friend (who mines) in a couple of weeks when I'm done with it. The only other replacement part was the Neutron, which was purchased ages ago when initially troubleshooting.

As I said, the H50 was modded into a push/pull config with two 1st PC Corp 252 CFM fans, so its a little better than stock. I also didn't think it necessary to go into excruciating detail since this doesn't seem to be a heat issue, but the case has been modded for more airflow. I probably should have been more clear since a couple people have mentioned it. I liked the LUXA, but I was worried about the heat issue - if it had seemed heat was an issue I would have returned it initially. I closely monitored all components, and all were well within reasonable temp ranges aside from the processor, which runs equally hot even when run open-air with a house fan blowing into the chassis and an Archon SBE X2 fan on it. I also raised the case about 2 inches by adding new new case feet and rigged two Corsair AS120 fans to the bottom of the case, which already had airflow slots to provide additional cooling. I also added an Antec exhaust fan that takes up two of the vacant PCI slots in the back of the case. There wasn't much in the way of decent HTPC cases at the time of this build, but obviously next time around I'll go with something different. Also, at the time, the H50 was among the best rated coolers recommended for the 920, and that was without the additions. Its not as if I bought these components last week.

My real mistakes, it seems, was not RMA'ing the MB and/or processor initially. I let it sit around and settled for playing games on my PS3 and watching 720p video on it so it wouldn't crash. Now that there are new games I would like to play and 4K games/video, it has aged and the video card has turned out not to be the issue. Stupidity on my part, sure. I don't think I was asking for all that much, though, just a little help troubleshooting before I scrap the system and build my new Z390/1080 TI/960 Pro HTPC...which I would be doing anyway, just not as soon. I was never going to put any additional money into this unless a 1070/1080 TI came along at a reasonable price (or I unexpectedly loved the 580) that I could save for the next build.

Yes, Neb but what she has spent so far in trouble shooting can be used in a newer system. The only questionable purchase was the Rx 580 and she could get most of her money back in a resell or keep it and sell the GTX 275 lightening. Bottom line is that OP needs to get a more up to date motherboard/CPU/RAM platform that is more energy efficient and runs cooler. Plus, she does also need better cooling and ventilation which may mean a new case.

Oh, a new case will definitely be in the plans. Like I said, at the time of this build there was a really limited selection of HTPC cases and with the mods I felt the LUXA would get the job done. I'm looking at a TT Core P5 for my next build, among a couple of others.

- - - Updated - - -

If she does decide to go newer then something on the Z97 platform might be a good choice as it will allow her to reuse the RAM as well. With the increased RAM prices right now have to replace the RAM as well as the MOBO/CPU may be more than if financially possible.

Thanks for the advice, but if I rebuild I'm going with a Z390 later in the year. 1080 TI, Samsung 960 Pro for sure...we'll see if I can re-use my Corsair PSU....also possibly looking at NZXT Kraken, G.Skill TridentZ, and a TT Core P5 case. I would rather save up and go all out, haha. And it may make me sound like a total girly girl, but I like the pretty RGBs!

Last edited:
I don't see a 50c core temperature effecting stock clocks. It is possible the ram at 1866 is unstable.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for pointing that out...I'll check into the RAM, but I'm pretty sure at some point I've run it at even more conservative settings.

If you're at 1080p or 720p, your 580 is a very good card. I passed my 480 down to my daughter for 1080p and she loves it. My 1070 was "want", not need. I ignored your idle temps because if you load temps are below TJ max, who cares what the idle temp is? IMO.

As I mentioned earlier, the only thing left to do is breadboard the rig and build it outside the case to rule out any potential shorts and eyeball the back of the mobo. And that is more of a "just in case" as it looks like your mobo has issues.

Only thing I see left is breadboard the build to rule out any case/mobo conflict issues. And check VRM temps. The log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS should have more detailed info. Open in Notepad and scroll to the bottom, working your way back up. If you get an Access Denied open Properties>Security>Owner and take ownership of the file, including inheritable Permissions. Close dialog boxes and window. Reopen Window and do it again, only change Permissions and Effective Permissions this time, granting full control of the file to yourself. Then close it all and reopen the folder. You should then be able to open it with Notepad.exe. Windows 7 can be funky that way.

I don't relish the idea of pulling everything apart again, but you're right. I'll see if I can breadboard it this week and report back.

Yeah, that's why it's a last resort. LOL I sympathize, honestly. I have to pull my rig apart and really clean the dust out soon and I am not looking forward to it.

If you're at 1080p or 720p, your 580 is a very good card. I passed my 480 down to my daughter for 1080p and she loves it. My 1070 was "want", not need. I ignored your idle temps because if you load temps are below TJ max, who cares what the idle temp is? IMO.

As I mentioned earlier, the only thing left to do is breadboard the rig and build it outside the case to rule out any potential shorts and eyeball the back of the mobo. And that is more of a "just in case" as it looks like your mobo has issues.

Yeah, I want to go 4K ASAP, so have always planned to go 1070/1080 TI. I'm on EVGA's notify list, but seriously...I'll be notified cards are in stock, hop on as soon as I get a chance, and they're already all gone within 45 minutes. I refuse to pay $1200+ for a card with an MSRP of $800, so I'll keep looking and try to be quicker about snatching one up in the future. I used to be an EVGA Elite member, but my membership apparently expired before I could snatch up one of their Elite-only cards. Grr!

Yeah, that's why it's a last resort. LOL I sympathize, honestly. I have to pull my rig apart and really clean the dust out soon and I am not looking forward to it.

I know! That's one of the reasons I like the semi-open air design on the P5. While more dust can get in, I can also clean it more regularly and easily with compressed air and hopefully keep up with it better. I'm looking for other similar horizontal case design options to weigh against the P5, but haven't found any yet.

Sadly, I don't think a 1070 will be enough for 4k. A 1080 Ti just cuts it. And you still can't blindly push all the sliders up under settings then with some titles. You could always poke around for another 580 and Xfire until prices return to something sane.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea "all these funds" were spent on a relic. There has really been no money spent since the initial build. I built this PC years ago. The only upgrade/"purchase" was the RX 580. Granted, it produces a lot of heat, but as I stated, it isn't what I plan to go with long term. With the availability of graphics cards these days, it is what was available to test whether the video card was causing the issues. The build is indeed aging, and I became tired of waiting for a 1070/1080 TI at a reasonable price. The RX 580 was purchased new, but from an acquaintance. I never planned to keep it. Unless I unexpectedly fell in love with it, it was always planned to be sold back at full price-minus-I-buy-dinner to my friend (who mines) in a couple of weeks when I'm done with it. The only other replacement part was the Neutron, which was purchased ages ago when initially troubleshooting.

As I said, the H50 was modded into a push/pull config with two 1st PC Corp 252 CFM fans, so its a little better than stock. I also didn't think it necessary to go into excruciating detail since this doesn't seem to be a heat issue, but the case has been modded for more airflow. I probably should have been more clear since a couple people have mentioned it. I liked the LUXA, but I was worried about the heat issue - if it had seemed heat was an issue I would have returned it initially. I closely monitored all components, and all were well within reasonable temp ranges aside from the processor, which runs equally hot even when run open-air with a house fan blowing into the chassis and an Archon SBE X2 fan on it. I also raised the case about 2 inches by adding new new case feet and rigged two Corsair AS120 fans to the bottom of the case, which already had airflow slots to provide additional cooling. I also added an Antec exhaust fan that takes up two of the vacant PCI slots in the back of the case. There wasn't much in the way of decent HTPC cases at the time of this build, but obviously next time around I'll go with something different. Also, at the time, the H50 was among the best rated coolers recommended for the 920, and that was without the additions. Its not as if I bought these components last week.

My real mistakes, it seems, was not RMA'ing the MB and/or processor initially. I let it sit around and settled for playing games on my PS3 and watching 720p video on it so it wouldn't crash. Now that there are new games I would like to play and 4K games/video, it has aged and the video card has turned out not to be the issue. Stupidity on my part, sure. I don't think I was asking for all that much, though, just a little help troubleshooting before I scrap the system and build my new Z390/1080 TI/960 Pro HTPC...which I would be doing anyway, just not as soon. I was never going to put any additional money into this unless a 1070/1080 TI came along at a reasonable price (or I unexpectedly loved the 580) that I could save for the next build.

My apologies. I was under the impression when you stated "I've upgraded" you purchased those new parts. The H50 is NOT enough cooling for a 920. Doesn't matter how many fans you have on it. Not enough surface area to pull the heat away. The case being modded for more airflow is a great idea, but again the H50 along with the 580 is just not up to the task of removing all that heat.

You mentioned you should have RMA'ed the board & chip when you had the chance, but it fell through the cracks. Looks like not only the heat issues, but I'm leaning towards the board giving up the ghost. Too many variables in play that is part of an ongoing problem with stability. Just for shiz & giggles check the board for bulging/swollen caps near and around the CPU socket area. If you have bad caps, chances are this may be the cause of your stability problem. Replacing them will give the board new life and buy you some more time for the new build route.

That new build you're going for would be the best option. Nothing wrong with liking the pretty RGBs ;)

I had an issue like this on an older system and it turned out to be the video card. On another older system, it turned out to be the cpu (possibly from too much heat). I have another old system doing something similar right now at boot, but haven't had time to work on it.

I would check the cpu and heatsink to make sure they're working well. While the temps in the cpu might be fine, the other components nearby on the motherboard might now like it one bit, even with a large fan blowing on them.

Back