• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a Newbie out please :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TangD

Hello guys, i am new to computer building and decided to spark a new interest trying to build a Gaming Desktop based around the i5-2500K :p.

This is my current build so far, please if you have any suggestions let me know, i will be forever grateful :D. Mainly i am trying to maybe lower the cost a bit but not sacrificing too much performance, because the main games i play are HON, and Dota 2 when it comes out. Both does not require amazing specs :D

CPU: Intel I5 2500k 3.3ghz - $230
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 ATX - LGA1155 - $130
Video Card: Geforce Asus ENGTX460 - $140
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 12GB (3x4GB) Triple Channel Kit (F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL) - $95
Power Supply Unit: Cooler Master GX 650W Power Supply - $80
Hard drive: estern Digital Caviar Black (WD7502AAEX) 750GB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (OEM)- $70
DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black SATA 24X DVD-Writer 24xDVD+R/-R 24xDVD+/-R DL 8xDVD+RW/6xDVD-RW 48xCD-R OEM - $25

Case $80

Total:$830 Before Tax

Optional: Zalman CNPS9700LED Ultra Quiet Cpu Cooler

I am sorry if i posted in a wrong section of the forum :/. And also the prices i have gotten were the lowest current prices taken from the sites; Tigerdirect, NCIX, and Canada Computers.
Thanks for your time

Yea, you should link to JonnyGuru for all PSU issues. Pick from there for your PSU. 650 watts (yea good size for your needs) is just a start... Ripple values, effiency, amperage on the 12 VDC rails....

Why in the world do you need 12Gb for ram?

Otherwise okay, I don't know a lot about mobos lately.

$80 case... cooling ability?

Nobody has pointed out that you're using a triple channel kit in a dual channel mobo. You'll have dual channel and single channel together, which sucks. 4 8 or 16. Not 12.

The people above have you pretty much covered, you need dual channel ram and a Corsair PSU (or other high quality).

On the CPU cooler: The Zalman non-tower series is mostly for looks, something like this will give you better temps.

Other than that, everything looks good!

Thank you guys so much for the help, and yeah i feel like an idiot now regarding the ram.
think ill just get the 8GiG instead, saves some money too lol:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

And my other friend was telling about how CM isnt that great, so i will definitely check out the Antec PSU and the Cooler Bobnova recommended; more research ahead :D.

Yeah for a 80 dollar case im looking for one with at least 4 fans.

Thanks guys

Thank you guys so much for the help, and yeah i feel like an idiot now regarding the ram.
think ill just get the 8GiG instead, saves some money too lol:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

And my other friend was telling about how CM isnt that great, so i will definitely check out the Antec PSU and the Cooler Bobnova recommended; more research ahead :D.

Yeah for a 80 dollar case im looking for one with at least 4 fans.

Thanks guys

Go with the Corsair HX650 PSU. You'll thank us for it.

Back