• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help/Advice on a watercooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

distilld

What parts did you get? Maybe post a thread up... anything you need to get we can help with?

So far I've ordered:

For the case, I found an aftermarket fan tray for the top of the case that's capable of mounting two additional 480mm radiators (the top rack it came with only supports 1x 420mm radiator). I'm not sure what spacing will be like once the front two rads are installed, though. I figure that if two 480mm don't fit then 2x 360mms will.

I bought a bunch of soft-tube fittings and PrimoFlex 3/8"x5/8" clear tubing to start with. I really want to use hard tubing, though, but I've never worked with it before. The current plan is to rough-in a loop with the flexible tubing to help figure out where everything will go, and then buy the necessary fittings for hard tubing. I have an idea of what I want the runs to look like, but I don't have a diagram or anything drawn up. The case just arrived yesterday and I haven't yet had time to validate my plan.

I'm sure I'll have questions once the stuff gets here, and I'm definitely open to any feedback or suggestions in the meantime! I've built a custom loop once before, but that was nearly 15 years ago and it was very basic, so I wouldn't say that I know what I'm doing. :)

I would definitely start a thread of your own for this if you're looking for feedback. I can split your post above off and start one if you like... LMK.

Looks good so far... the only thing I question offhand is why so much radiator? Did I read that right, 2x 4x140mm rads and 1x 4x120mm? Personally, I would have left the AIO on the card and just built for the CPU, but we're past that point :p. If it was me...........

I would have gone with 1x 480mm radiator as that should be plenty to keep that GPU cool and the CPU/VRMs. A second rad would help a bit, sure, but three of these monster rads are well past the point of diminishing returns. Maybe return the 420 or something and keep the 2x 480s. That's overkill still, but better than overspending on rads. A single D5 will also be plenty for a monoblock/GPU 2x rad loop. I also wouldn't bother water cooling anything M.2. Use what the board has. That board, in order to run it, you'll have to strip off some shrouds since they cover all the M.2 sockets.

the only thing I question offhand is why so much radiator? Did I read that right, 2x 4x140mm rads and 1x 4x120mm?

You read that right. This project escalated quickly and logic played a very limited role. It's definitely overkill for my current cooling needs - right now my hottest components are a 5950x and the lone 3080 Ti. The best justification I can come up with is: [1] more surface area should (I think) mean that I can run the fans slower and quieter to achieve the same level of cooling as less surface area with faster fans. Maybe with enough surface area I could get away with not running them at all while the system is idle? This might not be enough for that, though. And [2] for visual consistency/symmetry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I also wouldn't bother water cooling anything M.2.

Yeah...... I'm still questioning whether I care about trying this or not. I know that my SSD's performance definitely degrades if it gets too warm. But at the same time I think I only see that happen when I'm trying to make it happen. I figured if I'm already water cooling other stuff then might as well get a block for this too, but I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll actually use it. If it's too much of a pain to add then I'll just leave it out.

If I can find some time today I'll post a new thread for the build and update it with my progress once the parts arrive.

[1] more surface area should (I think) mean that I can run the fans slower and quieter to achieve the same level of cooling as less surface area with faster fans. Maybe with enough surface area I could get away with not running them at all while the system is idle?
To an extent, yes. The problem however, isn't with the amount of rad and surface area, but the ability of the CPU(s - any) to get the heat into the loop. With that much rad, you're WELL past the point of diminishing returns and throwing money at it for negligible improvements. I'd bet good money says you can run with your fans on low with a single 480mm and get better-than-air temperatures. Two is plenty... :thup:

And [2] for visual consistency/symmetry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Im a bit OCD, so I understand this. However, I'm more cheap and logical than I am OCD... :p

I'll split this off into it's own so we don't lose this part of the conversation. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the progress! Please swing by the watercooling sticky threads and give those a read... don't hesitate to ask questions BEFORE you purchase. :)

So....what's the question exactly? Reads more like a build thread at this time.

A 5950X and a 3080Ti should be plenty cooled by a single 480, but two would give plenty of headroom even with dual GPUs.

The 1000D is a beast. I've been eyeing that case for a while. With that bracket I suppose you could go with quad 480s? Ludicrous yet awesome.

I've seen/read videos and articles saying that loop order doesn't matter which makes total sense to me. But, despite that, here's a rough flow diagram of my plan at the moment.

Blank diagram (1).png

I plan on upgrading to a Zen 3 Threadripper when they're released, which will necessitate a new motherboard. I have a feeling that once I get this system in place and working I'm not going to want to disassemble it again. Hence the ball valves, which would be connected to each other via a male-to-male fitting. The idea being that I can shut off the two valves for a component and temporarily remove it from the loop and put something else in its place with minimal effort, minimal leakage, and without draining the whole system. If anyone knows of a better or more eloquent solution to this, let me know! I've seen quick disconnect kits online, but they only worked with soft tubing and I'd like to *try* to use hard tubing for all visible tubing (this may change depending on how frustrated I get when I start trying to bend acrylic).

I have a 420mm radiator ordered for the top since that's what will fit the top tray that the case came with, but I also have a custom aftermarket fan tray ordered for it that would support up to 2x 480mm radiators. Depending on how much space the front radiators leave me I'll likely end up replacing the single 420mm up top with either 2x 360s or 2x slim 480s.

I'm not planning on doing push-pull for any of the radiators atm. Despite having waaay too many fans lying around I don't have enough for that, and given the cost of the supplies so far I'd like to see how I do with what I already have, first. As for overall airflow, I plan on the front and top being air intake and only exhaust through the back of the case.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I chose to hit the water blocks in parallel in part for higher overall flow (based on what I've read online - if that's incorrect please tell me I'm wrong), to help facilitate the easy removal of individual water blocks, and because I think it will look better than hitting them serially. I had considered also hitting the radiators in a separate parallel loop (i.e. all water would hit, at most, one waterblock, then it would be merged back together, and then it would be split again so that it only passes through one radiator per iteration), but this significantly increases the number of fixtures needed without offering a practical advantage since I don't think I'll have a need to remove the radiators frequently or even in the near future.

So....what's the question exactly? Reads more like a build thread at this time.

I guess that's all I've got at the moment. I had originally asked whether it would be feasible to combine to AIO coolers. That lead to me falling down the rabbit hole that is custom loop cooling, and @EarthDog suggested I start this thread. So now here I am.

A 5950X and a 3080Ti should be plenty cooled by a single 480, but two would give plenty of headroom even with dual GPUs.

True. But this case looks so empty... it's practically begging for more radiators.

Instead of ball valves, you might consider quick disconnects. Then you can reconfigure loop directions very easily.

Also, you are correct, loop order does not matter all that much. The delta-T in water temps from each item's in and out ports, assuming adequate flow, is not easily measured.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I guess that's all I've got at the moment. I had originally asked whether it would be feasible to combine to AIO coolers. That lead to me falling down the rabbit hole that is custom loop cooling, and @EarthDog suggested I start this thread. So now here I am.

True. But this case looks so empty... it's practically begging for more radiators.

Oh for sure. Go push pull with thick radiators, then. Maybe build in some fan shrouds. Go nuts.

Got my first shipment of supplies today - images in spoiler below. More things are scheduled to arrive over the weekend and early next week, including the third radiator and all of the fittings for hard tubing. But I think I've got enough to start roughing-in a soft tubing loop this evening!

Is there any measurable, detrimental effects from running a push-pull configuration using one model for the push fans and a different model for the pull fans? I imagine that the ideal thing to do would be to use use a single fan model for push and pull, but I don't have enough of any one model to do that. The idea I'm playing with is to put some quieter, lower RPM fans in the push position, and then louder, higher RPM fans in the pull position. The quieter fans would run constantly, but the high RPM fans would only spin up under high load. The slower fans would be Noctua A12-25s which max out at 2000 RPM, and the faster fans are Noctua F12-industrialPPC-3000s at 3000 RPM.

If both sets of fans were spinning at full RPM at the same time how would this impact airflow/pressure in the radiator? If the fans were setup the other way (faster fans in push mode, slower fans in pull) how would that change things?

Just so long as you aren't driving one past it's RPM max/limits. In other words, I wouldn't both at full tilt in either orientation as the slower will overspeed.

I don't think it's a great idea... at full speed. You'll likely limit the effectiveness of the 3K RPM fan as it's trying to force more air through the (rad) slower fan.

Ok, I've got my water blocks and radiators installed. All I'm still missing at this point are the fittings to attaching the tubing to my water blocks and radiators. I was supposed to receive soft tube fittings on Friday but I guess UPS lost them. Hopefully they'll show up soon. I'm also expecting a separate shipment containing hard tube fittings tomorrow. I was hoping to be able to put together a soft tube loop first, but if the hard tube fittings arrive first.. I don't know, we'll see.

Anyway, below are pictures of what I've envisioned my loop to look like in this case, represented by pipe cleaners with artistic inspiration from Dr. Seuss. I'd like to try to keep the pump hidden in the 3.5" hard drive enclosure. The white circle taped to the top of the HDD enclosure represents a pass-through connecting the reservoir to the pump's intake. I'm honestly not sure if it will be possible to keep it there or not. It's a bit cramped in that space but it does fit. However there aren't any holes to mount it with down there. If that location doesn't work out I'd mount the pump on top of the enclosure instead.

Another thing that I might change: I was hoping to avoid having any connections overhanging the motherboard/GPU side of the case. With the 420mm radiator that's not going to be possible. I am still expecting a custom fan tray sometime this week that would allow me to put 2x 360mm radiators up top instead, in which case it may be possible to flip them such that their tubing connections are towards the front of the case.

Ideally, all visible tubing will be hard tubing (12mm ID, 16mm OD). When looking at the pictures pretend that the pipecleaners are straight and bend in nice perfect right angles.

Let me know if it looks like I'm missing something, or if any of this looks like it's going to be more of a pain than I'm anticipating!

NOTE: Pipe cleaners are not to scale.

waterloop_layout_front.jpg
waterloop_layout_rear.jpg

Hey all, still plugging away at this! The layout isn't turning out exactly as planned and my office probably qualifies for disaster relief funding at this point, but I'm slowly making progress.

Quick question about radiators - this should work... right? Specifically how I have the inlets for the top radiators are on the opposite side as the outlets..

Image from iOS (1).jpg

I missed this thread wow love it totally love it pipe cleaners too excellent .

Not sure on top rad though air will get stuck can you not put it on bottom turn it round or opposite side bottome if you have no space .
That what i did and i can get air out easily still quick tilt done . I know im messing youre pipe cleaning work up .

Attachments

• 8356B5F5-FEDA-428F-91F1-FDEC04BB4381.jpeg
    8356B5F5-FEDA-428F-91F1-FDEC04BB4381.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 143
I'll see if I can move them to the bottom today. I think I should be able to.

Back