• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help anyone know about laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trainwreck

I have a new 732us compaq laptop that didn't have anything spilled into it honest that's what she claims. LOL :rolleyes: it was a full glass of soda and the laptop was on when it happened. it shut down and now the MoBo is covered in a brown goop and won't turn on is this salavagable and Where do I start to test it .compaq want's 1200 to fix it :eek:
also does anyone know where to get laptop mobo's and parts I think I may need some

Last edited:

skahtul

Sorry to tell you but as far as I know this will not be possible. First it is a Compaq, so it is proprietary ( and as far as that goes, they use proprietary components on there regular computers, I bet the laptops are even worse). The only way to get parts is through Compaq, I don't know if they will even sell them to you. As laptops go, if anything is wrong I take mine to a shop, but they can't fix all of them. If you buy a laptop in the future make sure it is upgradable and uses standard parts.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Take the motherboard out, remove everything else (including the processor, if possible) and then give it a good scrubbing in distilled water. As long as you dry it completely out and DON'T use tap water, it shouldn't rust.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
as a last resort, you may try washing (literally) as many components as possible with warm water. Follow immediately with a dousing of white alcohol. The alcohol will help prevent any wanter residue.......as well as dry it faster.

no kidding, I dropped a friends new 2.4 ghz phone in the toilet once.........completely filled it with water.

I immediately filled it with alcohol and opened it. Let it dry for a couple hours and turned it back on. He's still using it, although his ear smells kinda funny. :rolleyes:

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

I thought so, I didn't buy it a friend did and I was hoping to be able to fix it for her a little cheaper than $1200 hell that's what she paid for it.Anyone know where to find standred laptop parts like Mobo's

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

How about using 99% isopropyl alcohol the kind that comes in a spray can

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

"Follow immediately with a dousing of white alcohol" for me or the laptop LOL

I dropped a friends new 2.4 ghz phone in the toilet once LOL Were you doused with alcohol ??????

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
skahtul said:
Sorry to tell you but as far as I know this will not be possible. First it is a Compaq, so it is proprietary ( and as far as that goes, they use proprietary components on there regular computers, I bet the laptops are even worse).

Pretty much all laptops are proprietary, as their components are designed around the frames and cooling designs of each laptop. It's not Compaq's fault. I couldn't use a Sony mobo in my Toshiba laptop...

Also, parts for laptops are VERY proprietary, so much infact, that variations in boards could exist from models from the same company. In otherwords, the mobo for a laptop with a Savage8 video chipset will be different from the step up with the Geforce2Go since the video is probably soldered on, or in the case of the Savage, integrated into the northbridge.

Replacement parts should be model and brand specific for laptops.

Hope it cleans up and works for ya!

Mike

skahtul

I know all laptops are proprietary, I was just saying companies like Compaq/some HP's are famous for there desktop systems being proprietary also. I know my gateway has almost nothing interchangable. Next time I get one, it will be from a local store. They use all sorts of Standard parts, you can upgrade the CPU and everything.

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

I will know in a couple of days when she gets back from school I hope it works out !!

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

Laptop mobo toasted $531 to replace it from compaq any one interested in pictures.

The Spyder

DAMN........ man....... i would have got OEM parts of a certifyed dealer/repair place and replaced it myself............. sure! bring on the pics~

chrismacan

First of all it is not true that all laptop components are propreitary. That is just what Dell, Compaq and all the others want you to believe.

I have, to date, fixed quite a few laptops by ordering cheap generic parts. Usually Toshiba from wholesalers for HD's. The HD's are just put in their plastic shell to make them LOOK propreitrary. This is just another money making scheme by the manufacturers.

You can put ANY 3.5 HD from any laptop into any other one as long as you remove the plastic outer casing and the connector and put it into the proper shell, if any.

I have put Toshiba HD's into at least 2 Dell laptops in the last month, all with NO problem. The same goes for CD's, CDRW's and graphics cards, RAM etc etc.

Don't get suckered in my someone who doesn't care, like DELL service techs.

The only thing I have never had to replace is a laptop MOBO. That might be a bit more tricky.

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

Anyone know who makes compaq laptop mobo's ??? and the $531 is for just the mobo not installed they want $1200 to fix it. the darn laptop only cost $1000 new ??

skahtul

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME, you WILL NOT be able to get a mobo from someone else. THer is no who makes compaq's mobo. They actually "Make" it them selves. Yes some things like HD are interchangable, but no not all ram is interchangable. SOme times it works and sometimes it does not. THere really no options but to have it replaced or get a new laptop.

OP
Trainwreck

Trainwreck

Thanks I got , it but I was hoping for something not sure what but something