• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, bad bios flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Softgod

Disabled
Hello, I flashed a bios and it went bad. It is from a MSI Kd7 Master. I have a Tyan Tiger MP here that uses the same type of Bios. I am wondering if I can do the trick where I boot the Tiger MP, load DOS, switch the BIOS and flash the MSI bios chip with the MSI BIOS?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Yes, the hot swap is one way to fix this. You'll probably have to go to www.wimsbios.com and get the Uniflash utility to do it though. Award will usually detect the BIOS file mismatch, and refuse to run.
Be sure to set BIOS cacheable to enabled in the BIOS on the good board. Boot to the floppy, and switch the chips when you are at the A:. Be sure that you get the chip in the socket the right way! There is a notch in the socket, and a small semi circular indentation in the chip that have to match up. (I'm assuming that you have the old style BIOS chip.

The Bios is the new style. It is a little thing that will be a pain in the but to get out. I wish that it was one of the older ones that I could just grab.

It's helpful to make sure the rom chip is loose before attempting to hot flash. Also, you may get by with a boot floppy with a Autoexec.bat to run the Award flash program. (dont need much working onboard to flash this way)

I have a Bios Savior on all my boards, saved my *** a couple of times.

Back