• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Booting into Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

Hey guys. I need help fixing my buddy's PC. It overheated due to dust and insufficient cooling. It was so bad the system would not stay running for more than a few seconds.

I corrected the cooling with a new after marked cooler. The bios shows a stable temp of 46C. However, Windows XP won't load. The Windows splash screen / logo just shows with the thing running non-stop across the screen, and the hard drive is not being accessed. All connections are fine.

It seems to me the OS got messed up by the over heating. Does this seem to be the problem? If so, what's the best way to fix this? Of course I'd rather not have to re-install Windows and everything on the hard drive.

Thanks!

System:
CPU = Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad
Mobo = ASUS P5NSLI
OS = Windows XP

Last edited:

JimmyG

Try running windows install with the repair option.

If that doesn't work, then get a Ubuntu disk (they are free) and boot off of that into the Ubuntu OS. If that works, then you have a corrupted copy of Windows that will require a clean install.