• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Build my new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marro255

I am finally working on building a new PC. I'm looking for some parts suggestions. I built my last PC maybe like 6-7 years ago. It was top of the line then and still to this day works great. However it's time to move to the newer side of things.

CPU ($300) - I am pretty certain i am going to go with the Intel i5 6600K. I'd love to go to a 6th Gen i7, but too expensive. I like that the i5 is unlocked and the newest Gen. I have looked over the 5th Gen i7s, not sure if I want to do that or not.

MB ($200) - I'd like to stay under $200 here. Looking for a solid board with some good features. I have no idea on this one, have looked over multiple boards and just not sure what to go with. Recommendations here would be great. I'd prefer a Micro or Mini, but wouldn't rule out a standard size. Looking at the LGA1151 boards for the 6th Gen Intel i5, and not a lot of reviews yet.

Case (?) - For the first time I may consider trying water cooling. I've never done this before so some opinions/suggestions on parts/case would be very helpful.

PSU - I would rather prefer modular for cable neatness, but really would take any suggestions. I have my own brand preferences but it's been a while so I may be missing some new brands.

Memory - Not as concerned about memory as I won't be doing anything crazy intensive on the PC. Some light gaming, etc.

Video - Probably won't get this right away, but looking for a Mid/Top Tier Nvidia card.

SO let your opinions be knows, and help me figure out what I want to buy here. Like I said it's been a while since I've done this and haven't kept really good tabs on what's going on in the PC world.

Thanks!

If you are in Chicago, there is a Microcenter.

They have some great pricing on cpu/motherboard combos.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Ram, get Gskill. I am not able to link any kits here at work., oddly I can go to Microcenters website.

PSU, get the EVGA G2 series, 650 watts is enough, with plenty of overhead.

Water cooling can be very expensive. Perhaps an AIO like the Cooler Master Nepton Series.

Go to pcpartpicker.com and setup a configuration to track your build. i5 6600 is a good starting point and most any mobo will be sufficient. Pick a brand you like or find one that had the features you need at the lowest price, they are all pretty much the same now. Evga and corsair make very good power supplies and probably weren't on the market last time you shopped. Look for a review on whatever you buy. Check out the classifieds here too for a psu, Oklahoma wolf had had some really good review units listed at amazing prices lately.

Be sure to get a ssd. It will be the single biggest performance upgrade you will notice compared to your last computer. Samsung 850 evo is usually the best performance arose for the average user, but anything from them or crucial, Intel, sms several others will be fine. Don't sweat the minor performance spec differences between them add you will almost never encounter a use case where they will matter significantly.

As mimart suggested water cooling can be very expensive. All in one solution from corsair or nzxt, ekwb, etc might be a good entry point. To be honest, unless you're going for a big overclock you can get away with a high quality air cooler like the noctua d15 . That will get you a pretty solid oc without the headache or concern of water. Even a cheap air cooler like the cm 212 evo will get you to 4ghz and it is only $30.

I may forgo water cooling then based on cost. Need to keep this as cheap as I can with getting some high quality components. I will most likely get a GeForce 970 Series, possibly 2 for SLI eventually.

Only buy one. Sli isn't really worth it. You'd be better off buying a faster single card.

Definitely but the processor at microcenter as suggested. I've gone there a couple times and they have by far the best prices for a cpu. If they have a combo mobo you like then go for it, but I usually find a better deal online for that.

Go to pcpartpicker.com and setup a configuration to track your build. i5 6600 is a good starting point and most any mobo will be sufficient. Pick a brand you like or find one that had the features you need at the lowest price, they are all pretty much the same now. Evga and corsair make very good power supplies and probably weren't on the market last time you shopped. Look for a review on whatever you buy. Check out the classifieds here too for a psu, Oklahoma wolf had had some really good review units listed at amazing prices lately.

Be sure to get a ssd. Sunil be the single biggest performance upgrade you will notice compared to your last computer. Samsung 850 evo is usually the best performance arose for the average user, but anything from them or crucial, Intel, sms several others will be fine. Don't sweat the minor performance spec differences between them add you will almost never encounter a use case where they will matter significantly.

As mimart suggested water cooling can be very expensive. All in one solution from corsair or nzxt, ekwb, etc might be a good entry point. To be honest, unless you're going for a big overclock you can get away with a high quality air cooler like the noctua d15 . That will get you a pretty solid oc without the headache or concern of water. Even a cheap air cooler like the cm 212 evo will get you to 4ghz and it is only $30.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on getting at least 1 SSD for the OS, and possibly a 1TB storage drive as well for application installations. In my old PC I am running a 150GB Raptor which was the fastest HDD at it's time.

MSI Z170A Gaming M5
2x8GB DDR4 2800 CL15
Samsung 850 Evo 256GB
Assuming 2 GPUs later... EVGA Supernova G2 750W
GTX 980 instead of 970.
Case = your choice. :)

ED reminded me, I should have said any z170 board will be fine. Don't mess with the lower end chipsets.

Yes. WE have reviews on some of their products on the front page in fact.

I suggest Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. If the fan is too loud, get a different one.

Back