• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building $700 computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dracknem

Hello everyone, I am trying to build a computer for $700 or less, buying all the components from reliable sources, probably Newegg.com

I need all of your help to do this, because the only thing I truly know is that I want an Athlon XP processer, probably 1900+ or 2000+, and I want a TI 4200 of some kind. So, any advice? Hints? Tips? Feel free to PM me or e-mail me at [email protected].

Thank-you all in advance. Oh, and I want this comp. to be at least a moderately good OCer, with air cooling. So, please take that into consideration if you are going to post a list.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
it is possible to build a ~$700 computer, i did it for my brother recently, though he had a duron 1.2 in it and not an xp, with current xp prices however you should be able to scrape by. I put the whole thing together including monitor through newegg.

look around newegg for a case with power supply, preferably 350watts+ that is rather cheap,

find a cheaper motherboard that will support your processer, and if you want ddr ram make sure it supports that too

then find the rest of the pieces, sound card, video card, lan card etc. if you want you can skip the sound and lan if you choose a motherboard with them ondboard

and as far as a video card goes, look into a GeForce2 or GeForce4 MX they are both pretty cheap under 100 and will run all current games fairly well. its doubtfull your gonna get a system with a TI 4200 AND an xp2000+ in it for under 700, you might have to lower your expectations a little

just mix and match parts and scale them down to fit your price range, make sure you leave room in your budget for an operating system, monitor, and shipping (which will be a bit under 100 for a complete system)

good luck to ya and if you have any specific questions just ask

ronin1967

one suggestion, if you can pickup a 1600+ AGOiA processor, save you serious $$(they usually run $55 delivered and can easily handle 166FSB at default tolerances(thats 1750MGz), a bargin at any price...

OP
D

Dracknem

Well, this price doesn't include a monitor. Also, that price doesn't include OS. Well, I actually probably have to build the comp for around $650-$675. Well, anyone recommend a GOOD motherboard? Well, a semi-cheap good one, I can go from there.

metra

arent most computer systems $700 and under? For me, it would be hard to buy over $700 bucks unless everything i bought would be something that JUST came out.

Abit Kx7-333 is a good ocer from what i hear. If you have patience, a refurbished one will come up on newegg for about $60. For storage devices, browse around fatwallet.com forums. They had extremely good deals over the summer.. but now the deals on the hdds and cdrw's are dead (for now though, theyll come soon i hope). I guess ebay's good for getting a vid card - 8500le is best bang for the buck i think (not too sure on that one). And definately get the xp1600. Good Luck.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
epox 8K3A is good... it has the 1/5 divisor, so FSB in excess of 166 is easy to achieve. A newegg refurb is $72. Look around, and you might find a better price, too.
use www.resellerratings.com to help you decide which websites are reputable.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
the 8k3as are very nice i got an 8k3a+ when they first came out for around 110, might wanna check into them, they are also great ocers

and metra try to piece a system together for under 700 including os and monitor, it gets kinda tricky unless you will settle for a complete budget system, especially when you have to get a monitor and os, they can cut your budget nearly in half...

for heatsync i would recomend the AX-7 i think there around 25 bucks anymore and are top notch performers

Last edited:

Deathknight

Monitor is gunna be a killer to fit into the $700 budget. Thats one area that I don't care to skimp. More than likely that will be the 1 piece of your system that you use longer than any other. Get a good monitor and it will probably last 3 systems. Also it seems like a waste to get a nice video card and use a junky monitor.

If you are gunna be doing some OCing you might as well just get a 1600+ and put that money into cooling and the other stuff. You don't get as much OCing headroom with the 1900 and 2000+ cpus imho.

I doubt you are gunna be able to build a decent system for that price that includes the OS, a ti4200 and a monitor in it but good luck ;)

DemonicAardvark

Guys, he said that this price did not include a monitor or an os, so I think he can do pretty well... I would sugest getting a good motherboard and cpu, and upgrade the rest as more money flows in.

Jeff Bolton

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishList.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=177265

that's my version of the cheap computer (hell, might do one for myself :D)

basically along the same lines as yours captain slug except different brands. an abit mobo (my personal fave, great oc'ers), xp1600, samsung c2.5 ram and a maxtor hard drive. mobo has built in lan and sound so i didn't include a sound card even though a sb 5.1 can be had for about $30. price comes out to about $630 or so, so the extra cash could be spent to get a faster proc or more ram, up to him.

just my two cents, hope this is useful or something :)

jeff

edit:

apparently my link to the wishlist didn't work like captain slug's so i'll just tell you what i chose and what the total is.

CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Workstation Tower) Model DX-01WD-420W Turbo Link Power Supply- $67
ABIT KD7,VIA KT400 chipset AMD K7 motherboard ,DDR 400,AGP 8X,ATA 133,USB 2.0 $110
GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 3.5ns, 64MB DDR. 1 CRT ONLY No DVI, or TV-Out. Retail- $129
AMD Athlon 1600+/266 FSB XP Processor CPU- $52.99 on sale
Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700 256MB CAS2.5- $84.99
MAXTOR 60GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE- $91.00
Lite On 48x12x48 CDRW- $57.99
LITE-ON LTD-166S16X DVD ROM Drive- $45
TOTAL= $637.97

not too bad for a pretty dope system if you ask me...either set up would be awesome, for that extra $60 you saved you could definitely upgrade the ram to 512 mb or get a faster cpu, or better video card, its all up to you bro.

jeff again

Last edited:

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Why get KT400 boards? AMD processors can't use that much memory bandwidth, the 8X agp slot is incompatible with some video cards, and modern AGP cards don't even use all of 4X's bandwidth. And KT400 has no more pci divisors than kt333.
In the same price range, you can find kt333 boards that are loaded to the gills with goodies.
For example, the Abit AT7
($81 refurb, $130 new at newegg)

This would easily let you go to raid.... even eventually putting 3 drives in raid 0 or 4 drives in raid 5 and maxing out the pci bus with SUSTAINED read and write speeds of about 120-133mb/s.
Or you could just use these as extra ide ports and have up to 12 ide devices in your computer!:eek:

Last edited:

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Jeff Bolton said:
basically along the same lines as yours captain slug except different brands. an abit mobo (my personal fave, great oc'ers), xp1600, samsung c2.5 ram and a maxtor hard drive. mobo has built in lan and sound so i didn't include a sound card even though a sb 5.1 can be had for about $30. price comes out to about $630 or so, so the extra cash could be spent to get a faster proc or more ram, up to him.

just my two cents, hope this is useful or something :)

jeff

Something happened to my list. I DID NOT pick an Albatron board. I have yet to be impressed with an onboard sound chipset becuase I have yet to see onethat works without stuttering, crappy sound, or memory timing issues.

I fixed my list to include an EpoX EP-8K3AE KT333 board and a PCI 6-ch sound card.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Caffinehog said:
Why get KT400 boards? AMD processors can't use that much memory bandwidth, the 8X agp slot is incompatible with some video cards, and modern AGP cards don't even use all of 4X's bandwidth. And KT400 has no more pci divisors than kt333.
In the same price range, you can find kt333 boards that are loaded to the gills with goodies.
For example, the Abit AT7
($81 refurb, $130 new at newegg)

This would easily let you go to raid.... even eventually putting 3 drives in raid 0 or 4 drives in raid 5 and maxing out the pci bus with SUSTAINED read and write speeds of about 120-133mb/s.
Or you could just use these as extra ide ports and have up to 12 ide devices in your computer!:eek:

I've had mixed experiences with "legacy-free" boards and I don't know why anyone is trying to replace the tried and true, reliable standard that is PS/2.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Point well taken. My point is that for the price of a good KT400 board, one can get a great KT333.

P.S. If I recall correctly the 8k3ae doesn't have overclocking features. The 8K3A most certainly does.

wumeeks

Registered
Lots of AMD setups....I know you say you want AMD, but consider this intel setup:

GIGA-BYTE GA-8SG667 SIS 648 533 DDR400 $90
Pentium4 2.4 533fsb, 512 l2cache $180
Corsair DDR 400 512meg (you can go with a
cheaper manufacturer) $180
Case w/300+ PS $100
ATA 133 40 gig Maxtor HD $80
TI 4200 Geforce4 $160
--------------
Grand Total of: $790

So that breaks the budget some..consider 256 meg of ram
or another ram manufacturer..should drop it at least 70 bucks
which will bring it closer to your 700 limit. The 2.2Ghz CPU
at 533 mhz and 512 l2 cache is only like 10 bucks cheaper
or something..so i say keep the 2.4...anyway something
to consider.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Wumeeks, good point, however, you could get a LOT better motherboard. I also don't see the point of a 2.4B when a 2.26B, for cheaper, will hit the same speeds without blinking, and with a higher fsb as well.

wumeeks

Registered
You were right bout the board i chose...didn't notice that it only had 2 ddr slots..however it does have ddr 400 capability..anyway here are a few good deals on intel mobos:

Soyo Sy-P4VDA Via P4X266A P4
400/533FSB, ATA/133, 3DDR DIMM, 1AGP, 5PCI, USB, Audio, LAN
(not a bad board for 82 bucks..free 2day fedex from www.googlegear.com...pc2100 is the max ddr speed though. Onboard lan is cool)

MSI 645E Max (MS-6547E)
400/533FSB, ATA133, AGP 2X/4X, 3DDR DIMM, 6PCI, 1CNR, USB, and onboard audio (this one supports ddr 333..but no onboard lan..84 bucks and also free shipping from googlegear.)

anyway just wanted to through some variety from all you AMD users heheh...I used to be AMD all the way..but the p4's are my new favorite.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Those are better suggestions, but most of us go with Abit, Epox, or Asus for our motherboards. Why? Quality, consistency, stability, support, and overclocking.
Something like Abit's BE7 or Asus's P4S533 would be a good choice for a P4 setup.